Why work on Windows 12 when Windows 10/11 still isn't the perfect OS?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, I've been VERY pleased with Win 10.......but they didn't ask me. :idk:
Windows 11 is more stable
Now Satya Nadella wants AI to be the within the central core of upcoming OS's - there goes the cognitive decline for the years to come. Gen Z will be pleased.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Click the following link and put your speakers at high volume

Remember that sound? The best OS in the world
My daily driver, the one I'm on now, is an 11 year old Dell with Win 7 Home Premium, my Blue Iris Server is 10 Pro, wife's laptop is 11 Home.
Almost every week I work on all 3 plus 8 belonging to clients with an occasional Vista and XP. :cool:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My daily driver, the one I'm on now, is an 11 year old Dell with Win 7 Home Premium, my Blue Iris Server is 10 Pro, wife's laptop is 11 Home.
Just opinions...
My daily driver, the one I'm on now, is an 11 year old Dell with Win 7 Home Premium, my "Blue Iris Server" is a Dahua NVR, and 2 laptops run Linux. If it weren't for a few windows-only apps (smartPSS one of them, darn it), the daily driver would be Linux. Win 7 crashes and needs a reboot about every 3 weeks on average. I need to use win 10 occasionally and will admit it's not too bad once it's decrapped, which takes a lot of time, especially if it's a HP/Dell. etc. build shipped on a new machine.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Win 7 crashes and needs a reboot about every 3 weeks on average.
I keep waiting for that too or a bad crash....but this old dog just keeps on keepin' on, never a missed beat. It will, however, throw a BSOD if VLC sends something cross-eyed to the ATi video card. I back stuff up weekly and bought a 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD to replace it's WD 1TB OEM drive 6 months ago and haven't got, well...you know....

RoundTuit.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Microsoft should have never let young adults tinker with the Microsoft Windows OS. Now you have settings all over the place and no consistency whatsoever within the GUI. Its on par with Mac OS now :facepalm:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe most of my win 7 crashes are related to the USB drivers, and to a smaller degree, smartPSS. If I never plugged in a memory stick or beat heavily on smartPSS it would likely never crash. I found a big breakthrough a few years ago by disabling all of the USB power saving features. Reliability went way up.

Reaction score
Almost every week I work on all 3 plus 8 belonging to clients with an occasional Vista and XP. :cool:
Vista was NOT an OS, it was a VIRUS! :)

Honestly, I have no problems with Windows 10 Pro, but I always install the pro versions. I put 11 pro on my daughters Laptop and she loves it. I always chuckle at the nerds I work with when they bitch about a certain flavor of Ubuntu or Red Hat not working the way it should without
updates or patches. OK.......

My work PC is 10 years old, has a cheeto laying on the video card (dropped it once and now has become a symbol to cherish) and has hiccuped maybe twice. It is Win 10 Pro.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This post isn't so much a comment on Win O/S's as it is a PSA. I cannot over-emphasize the difference a SSD can make in a 5 to 10 year old laptop with a bottom or mid-tier CPU, 4GB or 8GB RAM, running Win 7 or 10 on a spinning HDD.

Case in point: I had a chance to pick up a little Dell Inspiron 5556 laptop from 2018 with an i3 7th gen, the 15.6" LCD, keyboard, touch pad and bottom all super clean, no scratches or dings. The battery held a charge for a couple of hours and the AC charger/adapter didn't look like it had been used to tow a car...even had a black nylon Dell zip-up carrying case, all for $100.

But what really attracted me was it has an Ethernet port AND an optical drive. I borrowed the wife's Win 11 Dell laptop a few weeks ago to change some configurations on a client's TP-LINK wireless bridge and had to use a USB dongle for Ethernet.

Anyway, I pulled out the Toshiba 1TB HDD and threw in a Lexar NQ100 240GB SSD I got for $14 on amazon. I've bought 14 Samsung 860 and 870 EVO's of mostly 500GB the last 2 years and they are terrific but I decided to try the Lexar for giggles. Booted it up on a flash drive containing the MS Win10 Install Tool and it was done in 10 minutes.

The little laptop that took 2-1/2 minutes before to show the welcome screen after P.O.S.T. now took less than 30 seconds. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to the clean install of Win 10 but the SSD did it's part as well...the battery now runs 2 hours before telling me that it's got over an hour left. It launches Chrome, Adobe Reader, OpenOffice, VLC, etc. in about 5 seconds. I guesstimate a 300% improvement in speed and 150% improvement in battery life.

FWIW, I've done this (R&R HDD with SSD) on about a half dozen laptops and one All-in-One in the last year, half of them were Win 7 and I was able to put Win 10 on them with no issues with activation and no issues with display, network or audio drivers. All were clean installs with the MS Install Tool.

There were a couple of SSD's that, because they're skinnier than the HDD they replaced where I had to tape an old credit card with the numbers cut out on the top or bottom of the SSD's as needed to the fatten it up a bit so that it would slide in properly and engage the female data/power connector on the laptop's motherboard. These were usually older laptops where the drive slid in/out from the side, not found underneath a the big bottom laptop cover.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Every 5 years, or so, when I buy a new laptop I force myself to try to use whatever version of Windows that comes with it. Of course, upon getting it in my hands, I install Linux, usually Mint, so I can dual boot.

After a couple weeks of constant updates, different apps asking me to subscribe (remember when we could pay once for software?) and all the messed up settings, I end up reformatting the drive from scratch and just using Linux.

It's been over 20 years that I've been running Linux virtually exclusively. No regrets. I'm closer to the hardware and further from the bullshit.

Yeah, this may upset the hardcore Windows fans but we all have our preferences. And mine is Linux.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am just shocked at all the consumer crap that's on windows builds that are pre-loaded onto new computers. It's more of an entertainment toy than a serious tool, and few buyers will know how to get around the required microsoft account, and they blindly follow the path to load all of their data to the cloud.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its worse on Mac OS :rofl: Pretty colors

I am just shocked at all the consumer crap that's on windows builds that are pre-loaded onto new computers. It's more of an entertainment toy than a serious tool, and few buyers will know how to get around the required microsoft account, and they blindly follow the path to load all of their data to the cloud.