Wi-Fi jamming to knock out cameras suspected in nine Minnesota burglaries --

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I do hope you’re preaching to the choir to anybody who’s spent any amount of time around here but good information for somebody just starting out thinking wi-fi cameras are worth investing in. Other than to occasionally keep an eye on the pets

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just in case the article gets deleted or moved ..

Wi-Fi jamming to knock out cameras suspected in nine Minnesota burglaries -- smart security systems vulnerable as tech becomes cheaper and easier to acquire
News
By Mark Tyson published 2 days ago
Police believe a string of nine robberies in Edina have used this tech.

A serial burglar in Edina, Minnesota is suspected of using a Wi-Fi jammer to knock out connected security cameras before stealing and making off with the victim's prized possessions. Minnesota doesn’t generally have a reputation as a hotbed for technology, so readers shouldn’t be surprised to hear that reports of Wi-Fi jammers used to assist burglaries in the U.S. go back several years. PSA: even criminals use technology, and more are now catching on -- so homeowners should think about mitigations.

Edina police suspect that nine burglaries in the last six months have been undertaken with Wi-Fi jammer(s) deployed to ensure incriminating video evidence wasn’t available to investigators. The modus operandi of the thief or thieves is thought to be something like this:

• Homes in affluent areas are found
  • Burglars carefully watch the homes
  • The burglars avoid confrontation, so appear to wait until homes are empty
  • Seizing the opportunity of an empty home, the burglars will deploy Wi-Fi jammer(s)
  • “Safes, jewelry, and other high-end designer items,” are usually taken
A security expert interviewed by the source publication, KARE11, explained that the jammers simply confused wireless devices rather than blocking signals. They usually work by overloading wireless traffic “so that real traffic cannot get through,” the news site was told.

1707936742053.png
1707936898652.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do hope you’re preaching to the choir to anybody who’s spent any amount of time around here but good information for somebody just starting out thinking wi-fi cameras are worth investing in. Other than to occasionally keep an eye on the pets
I hope so....and have, on more than 1 occasion, passed on my own ideas and expectations of my 3 wireless pet-cams:

Cooltiger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SD card in good cameras would stop that problem.
SD card does capture the video, still if someone is using the camera for alerts that would be delayed until the wifi recovers .. thus having a separate security alarm system is still useful

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I mean I guess it's better to cover all your bases if you are going to be a thief. But let's be honest, the video quality of the average wifi camera is so bad that it is useless anyway.
^^^ This! In Cuba, I see a lot of Zosi and other low-end brands for sale. People figure that cameras are cameras. We're very happy that we decided to invest in decent cams initially (Dahua 2431-S-S2) and are now replacing them with 4K/X and 5449 dual-lens from Dahua.

I think that the thieves in Cuba are expecting most footage to be useless. Cops have used ours on almost a dozen incidents in just over a year. We always get compliments.