How to see Amcrest baby cams from computer (like Smart Home app)

Reaction score
Amcrest 1080P Wi-Fi ASH21-W

I have multiple baby cams installed, outside actually, under the soffit. They have been working for a few years now in freezing weather, snow storms, rain, and summer heat. Very tough for an indoor unit!

Anyway, I would like to see these cams on my computer desktop at home just like I do on the Smart View iPhone app. Is there anyway to do this? I tried the desktop software but no luck.

Can I use a phone emulator app, install it and keep it open on one of my monitors? Are there any security risks running a phone emulator and running the Smart Home app on it? I don't want hackers tapping into my computer via an app.

Should I just go with Blue Iris? I have cameras throughout the country at various elderly relatives homes. Amcrest DVRs and wifi IP cams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had BI running since 2014 and have 4 Amcrest (Dahua OEM) cams ( 3 are the wireless IP2M-841), 2 Dahua cams, 1 TP-LINK cam and 2 Reolink video doorbells.
IMO, BI is the best CCTV VMS for a PC dollar-for-dollar out there.

At least install the demo and try it for 2 weeks, you can find plenty of help here should you need it. You can even view it's built-in web server on your phone's browser, no app needed (although I have the app).

P,S. - BTW, I see on another thread you have an Amcrest NVR...it can be streamed to BI as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info...

The only way I'd have wireless cams is the way I have them now: a dedicated 802.11n, 2.4GHz Access Point for 3 cams, nothing else uses that AP. Its assigned channel is at the max separation from another 2.4GHz channel in the house. There is no other house near me for about 300 yards and we're separated by dense foliage and trees.

Those 3 cams are indoor, non-critical pet cams (Amcrest IP2M-841's) streaming to Blue Iris and are adequately reliable for their jobs. They take their turns losing signal/reconnecting usually about every 12 hours or so for about 20 seconds which I would not tolerate for an outdoor surveillance cam pointed at my house and/or property.

But for me, this works in my situation: dedicated AP, non-critical application and periodic, short-term video loss.... if any one of those 3 conditions can't be achieved or tolerated, then I also do not recommend using wireless cams. :cool:

Reaction score
I've had BI running since 2014 and have 4 Amcrest (Dahua OEM) cams ( 3 are the wireless IP2M-841), 2 Dahua cams, 1 TP-LINK cam and 2 Reolink video doorbells.
IMO, BI is the best CCTV VMS for a PC dollar-for-dollar out there.

At least install the demo and try it for 2 weeks, you can find plenty of help here should you need it. You can even view it's built-in web server on your phone's browser, no app needed (although I have the app).

P,S. - BTW, I see on another thread you have an Amcrest NVR...it can be streamed to BI as well.
Thank Tony I will give BI a try. Only issue is my Smart Home App doesn't show the passwords for the cams so I will have to reset them unless there is some password hack.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited: