Windows 10 Update Causing Strange Camera Behavior In BI5

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two ReoLink 5MP "eyeball" cams monitoring my front door. They were installed within a few weeks of each other as upgrades from some Amcrest 1080P "eyeball" cams. They've been working reliably for several months now, until yesterday.

One of the cameras was offline in BI, but I could still see it using the ReoLink app. After trying many things with no success, I was about to go out and test the POE network cable. I decided first to reboot the camera server. The server is an i7 HP laptop and runs nothing but BI5 and an instance of IE that I use as an alternate control for one of my Panasonic PTZ cams because it has better and faster controls for PTZ than those in BI.

When I went to reboot, I saw that Windows 10 (PRO version) had an update waiting to run. I had seen no notification of this and would not have known except for the extra options that show up on the Windows 10 "restart" button: "Update and shut down", "Update and restart".

After the update ran, the computer restarted and the ReoLink cam came back up and has been running normally ever since.
Then, tonight, the other ReoLink cam was behaving strangely. This time I could not view the cam using the ReoLink app. I had been troubleshooting a separate problem with an IR floodlight plugged into my Cisco POE switch right next to the port for the Reo cam that has now not working. So I suspected that maybe I had somehow disturbed the cable for the Reo cam (maybe I had a loose wire when I terminated the RJ45??). When I checked the switch, though, the status light for that port was blinking along merrily as if the camera was running fine.

So I decided to reboot the BI5 server again. Normally it runs for months at a time without rebooting. The only times I've had to reboot have turned out to be when there were (otherwise unknown) Windows 10 updates waiting to run. Sure enough, another Windows 10 update was pending. After the update ran, the server rebooted and the Reo cam came back up normally.

I don't understand how/why a pending Win10 update could affect just one camera out of 20, but that's what I observed. Twice. Actually, after I thought more about it, I realized that I also had been having trouble with my Panasonic PTZ cam which has been running reliably for years. After the reboot, that camera too magically started working again .

I run about 5 other Windows 10 laptops for various purposes around the house. All except the BI server are Win10 Home edition. Even though I have set late night hours for Win 10 updates to run, I have repeatedly noticed bizarre behavior of one kind or another that, when I finally decide to reboot, turns out to be due to a pending Win 10 update.

Bottom line: in my experience, Win 10 ignores the time settings that you select and does whatever the hell it wants to, invariably causing strange behavior (usually very very slow reponse) that goes away when you decide to reboot and update runs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two ReoLink 5MP "eyeball" cams monitoring my front door. They were installed within a few weeks of each other as upgrades from some Amcrest 1080P "eyeball" cams. They've been working reliably for several months now, until yesterday.

One of the cameras was offline in BI, but I could still see it using the ReoLink app. After trying many things with no success, I was about to go out and test the POE network cable. I decided first to reboot the camera server. The server is an i7 HP laptop and runs nothing but BI5 and an instance of IE that I use as an alternate control for one of my Panasonic PTZ cams because it has better and faster controls for PTZ than those in BI.

When I went to reboot, I saw that Windows 10 (PRO version) had an update waiting to run. I had seen no notification of this and would not have known except for the extra options that show up on the Windows 10 "restart" button: "Update and shut down", "Update and restart".

After the update ran, the computer restarted and the ReoLink cam came back up and has been running normally ever since.
Then, tonight, the other ReoLink cam was behaving strangely. This time I could not view the cam using the ReoLink app. I had been troubleshooting a separate problem with an IR floodlight plugged into my Cisco POE switch right next to the port for the Reo cam that has now not working. So I suspected that maybe I had somehow disturbed the cable for the Reo cam (maybe I had a loose wire when I terminated the RJ45??). When I checked the switch, though, the status light for that port was blinking along merrily as if the camera was running fine.

So I decided to reboot the BI5 server again. Normally it runs for months at a time without rebooting. The only times I've had to reboot have turned out to be when there were (otherwise unknown) Windows 10 updates waiting to run. Sure enough, another Windows 10 update was pending. After the update ran, the server rebooted and the Reo cam came back up normally.

I don't understand how/why a pending Win10 update could affect just one camera out of 20, but that's what I observed. Twice. Actually, after I thought more about it, I realized that I also had been having trouble with my Panasonic PTZ cam which has been running reliably for years. After the reboot, that camera too magically started working again .

I run about 5 other Windows 10 laptops for various purposes around the house. All except the BI server are Win10 Home edition. Even though I have set late night hours for Win 10 updates to run, I have repeatedly noticed bizarre behavior of one kind or another that, when I finally decide to reboot, turns out to be due to a pending Win 10 update.

Bottom line: in my experience, Win 10 ignores the time settings that you select and does whatever the hell it wants to, invariably causing strange behavior (usually very very slow reponse) that goes away when you decide to reboot and update runs.
The pending update is not causing the problem. It is simply that whatever the issue was is resolved with a reboot.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pending update is not causing the problem. It is simply that whatever the issue was is resolved with a reboot.
You could be right about that with the BI server, but on my other laptops I have observed strange behavior probably dozens of times and only when an update was pending.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could be right about that with the BI server, but on my other laptops I have observed strange behavior probably dozens of times and only when an update was pending.
And the other laptops are a mix of manufacturers, models, cpus, etc. - not much in common other than Win 10.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm... the 2nd ReoLink cam may in fact have a cable termination problem. I was just playing around with it and caused it to lose contact with the Cisco switch by wiggling the RJ45. I'm going to cut off that RJ and re-terminate the cable.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For future reference, avoid Reolink like the plague.
For the most part, and for the price, I've been pretty satisfied with them. The bad cable termination was my own fault. Here's a screen shot...
door.jpg