Wyze Cam v3

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting .... A Wyze with starlight sensor I discovered this after looking at the doorbell camera that Wyze is releasing next year so I thought I would share the link to their next camera that supposedly to be release this month.

I do own a Wyze PTZ cam which I bought last year but it still sitting in the box, I never gotten around to playing with it yet LOL .... I was going to use it to monitor my dog at home from work.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, Starvis without mentioning sensor size. You'll get exactly 19.99 worth out of it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wyze, imaging reviews in low light look a lot better than v2 .. I still need to see if the rtsp streaming is possible

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, Starvis without mentioning sensor size. You'll get exactly 19.99 worth out of it.
It'll make a nice baby, bird nest, or pet monitoring camera at that price. I can see some uses for it around the house but not for security purpose ..

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wyze support team comments, 10 days ago:

Not by default, but we're working on it.
The v3 does not support RTSP by default. But we are currently working on the firmware that supports RTSP

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use garbage can referring to the physical configuration. Reminds me of a garbage can you see, or used to see before recycling and PC. Could also be referred to as the R2D2 style. More expensive, yes, but it works very well and has decent night vision on a 1/2.9 sensor.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The small sensor might work ok as it's only 1080P so the pixels will be larger. Where I'd have issue is the lens choice. F1.6 with 130 degrees. f1.6 whilst giving greater dof will restrict light and a wide angle lens will I believe reduce the distance of any meaning full facial identity to quite a close distance to the camera. As an over view camera, it might make a cheap alternative. However, as a recognition camera, I feel a Dahua or Hik will have to be run in tandem. That said, this is potentially a cheap way of getting an over view if a 2nd Dahua / Hik is temporarily out of reach. At $19.99 you can't really go wrong if the night vision is decent. You'll just need the other camera to identify at any kind of distance. Playing around in IPVM calcluator, I reckon anyone much over 10-12 feet away, will become difficult to identify.

IF the night vision proves decent, I might even pick one up myself as I have a public area to protect and I'd rather have a $19.99 camera vandalised than a $200 one.

Might also make a good door cam in preference over a doorbell one.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will never take an expensive camera for my diy projects. My best invested $20 for my fail/pass projects. The camera have acceptable video, audio (mic/speaker), infrared, even adding inexpensive smart switches/door sensors, for creating rules within the Wyze ecosystem.

Attachments

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wyze, imaging reviews in low light look a lot better than v2 .. I still need to see if the rtsp streaming is possible
They have RTSP firmware for the V2, though it's an afterthought by Wyze. I have one that I played with. First you need to bring it into their ecosystem (phone app), then you download the alternative firmware, place it on an SD card, reboot the cam with the SD card to flash the RTSP firmware. It drops connection offen in BI, sometimes for a few seconds, but could be up to an hour...you end up rebooting it (by unplug/plug AC). Not sure if this is due not being able call "home", as it is on network that doesn't have access to internet.