ZeroTier safety concern...

Strosek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I just installed Zerotier on my BI server today which I've also started using as a desktop computer. After reading some posts I'm worried about doing any banking etc on it. I've changed the default web server port, removed all port forwarding, turned off UPNP and DMZ as well as installed the Zerotier. Is that enough? Don't need Fort Knox but don't want my banking info spread all over the net.

Thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I just installed Zerotier on my BI server today which I've also started using as a desktop computer. After reading some posts I'm worried about doing any banking etc on it. I've changed the default web server port, removed all port forwarding, turned off UPNP and DMZ as well as installed the Zerotier. Is that enough? Don't need Fort Knox but don't want my banking info spread all over the net.

Thanks in advance
Zero tier is very secure - you need to ensure you have it set to only allow permitted devices to connect.
You should not be using your BI pc as your desktop. Buy a desktop for 100 bux. This will only cause problems.

Strosek

n3wb
Reaction score
I know you're right about using a different machine but I just had my vehicle stolen and I'm just glued to these cameras now. So other then it not being a best practice is it safe to use? If I have any issues I'll get another computer for sure.

Also you say make sure it's only permitted devices are you referring to the Zerotier setting labelled "Access Control"? Private or Public? I have that set to Private.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I know you're right about using a different machine but I just had my vehicle stolen and I'm just glued to these cameras now.
In my office I have a desktop with two screens. On the right screen I run UI3 so that if anything happens on those cams, I see it. This PC is not the BI PC. That PC is on a different floor and is only used for BI.