Zoom Lens for Cameras

LL0rd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have some Reolink RLC-811 Cameras and one RLC-811A. The main difference between this models is the 5x optical Zoom. And it's not just optical but also "motorized" so I can zoom in, whenever I want.

My current problem is, that on some cameras I don't want to be able to zoom in, whenever I want. So the digital Zoom would be a waste of money. Currently the RLC-811 camera is about 100 EUR and the RLC-811is around 130 EUR.

What I'm looking for is a zoom lens, I can put on top of the Camera to have a fixed zoom. You know, for the smart phone, there are these Clip On lenses. Tele-Lens, Ultra-Wide lens and so on. I'm looking for such lenses für IP Cameras. Arn't there any models?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
You're better off opening the camera and replacing the lens. I've done it on my Dahua cameras with M12 lens mounts and it's worked very well. You'll need to find out the type of lens that the cameras use. I couldn't find it during a cursory Google search.

I documents swapping a 2.8mm lens to a 25mm lens here. This was a stretch as the 25mm lens was a few mm longer than the factory 2.8mm but the camera went back together. I did some waterproofing and have had no issues.

LL0rd

n3wb
Reaction score
You're better off opening the camera and replacing the lens. I've done it on my Dahua cameras with M12 lens mounts and it's worked very well. You'll need to find out the type of lens that the cameras use. I couldn't find it during a cursory Google search.

I documents swapping a 2.8mm lens to a 25mm lens here. This was a stretch as the 25mm lens was a few mm longer than the factory 2.8mm but the camera went back together. I did some waterproofing and have had no issues.
Thank you for your hint. I just took a "decommissioned" Camera apart and measured the lens. It seems to be an M12 Mount for the lens. I just ordered one on Aliexpress. Let's see, what happens ;) I'm also going to record the process. So maybe others are interested in the procedure.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for your hint. I just took a "decommissioned" Camera apart and measured the lens. It seems to be an M12 Mount for the lens. I just ordered one on Aliexpress. Let's see, what happens ;) I'm also going to record the process. So maybe others are interested in the procedure.
I'm amazed how cheap the lenses are. For $5, you can repurpose a camera instead of buying new.

Let us know how it goes!