100' Ethernet Cable - Options?

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
So I decided to add just one more IP camera to the mix but I only need 50-100' of ethernet cable to complete this project. I previously bought a 250' spool (Monoprice) to wire up the other cameras but what is left isn't enough for this camera. The problem I have now is that no one that I have seen sells decent quality Cat5e or Cat6 bulk in a 100' length. Most are 250' or more. I could purchase a 100' patch cable but the quality seems suspect for most of those or they just don't get into any detail about what cable they are actually using. Does anyone know if the Monoprice patch cables are the same quality as their bulk cable? Also looked at Home Depot and they have Cerrowire in 100' packaging but I'm still a bit concerned about their quality and not much is said about it. This run will be through the attic like the others where temps are often well over 100 degrees (Texas). So what would you guys recommend that I do?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I decided to add just one more IP camera to the mix but I only need 50-100' of ethernet cable to complete this project. I previously bought a 250' spool (Monoprice) to wire up the other cameras but what is left isn't enough for this camera. The problem I have now is that no one that I have seen sells decent quality Cat5e or Cat6 bulk in a 100' length. Most are 250' or more. I could purchase a 100' patch cable but the quality seems suspect for most of those or they just don't get into any detail about what cable they are actually using. Does anyone know if the Monoprice patch cables are the same quality as their bulk cable? Also looked at Home Depot and they have Cerrowire in 100' packaging but I'm still a bit concerned about their quality and not much is said about it. This run will be through the attic like the others where temps are often well over 100 degrees (Texas). So what would you guys recommend that I do?
As long as it's solid copper no cca and 24awg or lower (larger wires) the cable at home depot will work fine. cerrowire is a fine brand. Just watch your price per foot, often shorter spools aren't as economical. They stopped selling cat5e/6 by the foot a few years ago.

Patch cables are usually stranded and often have smaller wires. It's also easy to damage them if you install them in wall. Sun exposure is a much bigger problem than the heat in the attic. If you're worried about the heat, run the cables below the insulation.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tangent. Great idea running underneath the insulation but I'm too lazy for that. Good to know that Cerrowire is decent enough and will hopefully hold up to high temps. No outside exposed wiring in my install...mainly attic until my 3 foot wall drop.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd just buy a 500 foot box at a local store or maybe ask your local telephone company if they have any smaller boxes left over. I got a box of cable from a contractor free because they couldn't use it for a tower install.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^
Agreed, I'd buy a 500' box too and find a use for the extra later.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Ended up ordering another 250 ft roll of monopolize cat6. Same price as a 100ft roll at home depot.