Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Discussion in 'Blue Iris Tools' started by Mike, Mar 30, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mike

Mike Staff Member

I'm very happy to introduce Blue Iris Tools to everyone. Blue Iris Tools was created to act as a companion to Blue Iris and has a bunch of features built in to help maximize your Blue Iris experience.

Some of the core features of Blue Iris Tools are:
    • Weather Overlays
      • Easily add the local weather to your camera feeds,
      • Easily create Macros for Blue Iris right from BI Tools,
      • Ability to assign all weather conditions to 1 Macro!
    • Watchdog
      • If Blue Iris crashes or closes, BI Tools will re-open it
      • Monitor Blue Iris (whether running 'normal' or as a service)
      • Monitor Blue Iris' web server. If BIT cannot connect, activate alerts
      • CPU monitor + CPU Overlay
      • BI folders monitor
      • IP Address monitor (notify if change)
      • Notifications - Get notified if BI crashes via e-mail, push notifications via Pushover (download BIT icon here), by playing a sound, pinging / launching a URL.
    • Web Server File Management
    • Language
      • Create and import custom language phrases and definitions. Language files are available in the 2nd post of this thread. If you created your own, please share it!
    • DDNS Updater & IP Management
      • Automatically update DDNS providers when your IP address changes
    • Log
      • Log all BIT related actions (BIT open / close, etc.)
      • Watchdog (Anytime the Watchdog is triggered - if BI is closed, etc.)
      • Weather Updates (anytime the weather is updated)
      • DDNS Updater (when your IP changes, etc.)
      • CPU Usage (log CPU usage during alerts, etc.)

BI Tools uses WUnderground to gather the weather. You can find your nearest station here. I plan on adding more weather providers in the future.

Here are some screenshots of Blue Iris Tools.
    weather-tab.png watchdog-tab.png web-server-tab.png options-tab.jpg settings-screen.png weather-overlays.png macros.png language.jpg results.jpg ddns-ip-management.jpg ddns-ddns.jpg log.jpg

Here are a few examples of the weather on your video feeds. You can select which conditions to show, what units to display and more.
    weather3.jpg weather1.jpg weather2.jpg

I have put together athread to act as a 'help file' or a place that provides details and explanations on how to use the software, what each feature and setting does, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the help file then you may ask for support in this thread.

A big thanks to the beta team for helping get BIT where it is! Blue Iris Tools was built by me and is offered for free to everyone. I ask that you don't redistribute the software, rather direct people here to download it. I am not a programmer by trade, I just wanted to put together this software to help out the Blue Iris community. I expect bugs to crop up throughout the early releases but I plan on building and maintaining BI Tools long term, so if you do find bugs or have issues don't worry, whatever it is I will take care of. Just let me know. Please don't hesitate to leave your suggestions or feedback as well. I want to build and expand BI Tools as much as possible and have a lot of really good ideas that will make their way into future releases.

I plan on updating this thread when I release updates and will use it as a centralized location to discuss BI Tools. Please visit this thread for the help file and see the 2nd post in this thread for language files.

Current Release

Jan 12, 2017 - v.1.1.4 - Please update via BIT.

Upcoming
    -Multiple channel weather updates
    -Remote BI & BIT Watchdog

Download & Installation Instructions
    • Blue Iris Tools v1.1.2 Installer.zip - For new installations download Blue Iris Tools v1.1.2 Installer.zip and extract the files. From there, run setup.exe. If your web browser or firewall flags it, disable during installation. If you encounter errors during the install, please 'ignore' them if possible. If you have a previous version of BIT, make sure it is closed. Always check for an update after installation.
    • bit-update.zip - If you are upgrading from a previous version of BIT that did not use the installer then download the bit-update.zip file, close BIT if it is running and extract the contents over your previous installation of Blue Iris tools. You may also download and install via the installer if you like. All future versions will be updated via BIT itself.
    • error-files only for issues.zip - Only use this if you are unable to properly install or run BIT, then download the contents of "error-files only for issues.zip" and extract them to a directory of your choice. Run BIT from there. If you are still having issues then please post in this thread.
    Donate
    I have been asked several times about accepting a donation for my work, so I finally decided to set up an easy way to do so. While it's not obligated, it's certainly appreciated. Blue Iris Tools is free and always will be free, but if you would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking here - Donate to Blue Iris Tools

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    xdq, justgene, vietace and 53 others like this.
  2. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Blue Iris Tools Changelog

January 12, 2017 - v1.1.4

• Essential bug fixes
    • More fixes / updates coming very soon
    • Progression on multiple location weather updates
    November 6, 2016 - v1.1.3

• Fixed issue where BI path wouldn't save
    • Server Watchdog bug fixes
    • Framework added for multiple location updates (coming soon)
    • Various bug fixes
    August 3, 2016 - v1.1.2
    • Added BIT Logs (Options->BIT Logs)
    • CPU % now updates immediately in 'everything' macro
    • Automatically check for BIT update now also automatically installs update
    • DDNS Updater / IP monitor bug fixes + improvements
    • Auto IP bug fixes
    • Various bug fixes
    July 19, 2016 - v1.1.1
    • Fixed bug where BI directories are not saved properly
    • Added feature for Watchdog to open 'BlueIrisAdmin.exe' instead of 'BlueIris.exe' (in Settings)
    • Added DDNS updater and Watchdog (button on Options tab)
    • Added DDNS Watch Dog monitor language
    • Changed Language screen layout
    • Various bug fixes
    September 27, 2015 - v1.1.0 - MAJOR CHANGES!
    • BIT now cooperates with BI4 (x64 bit too)
    • CPU Usage added to overlay / macros
    • CPU Usage added to language definitions
    • Date Updated added to overlay / macros
    • Settings window created...Text directories + BI version picker
    • Universal Analytic code replaces traditional syntax Google Analytics code
    • Opens to last tab on load
    • Easily backup BIT settings & stations
    • Interface improvements
    • Various bug fixes and more!
    Dec 24, 2014 - v1.0.4
    • Patch to work properly with BI 4. 'Detect BI Directory' button not functioning properly, will fix in next release. Make sure to manually set your BI 4 directory in BIT settings!
    Dec 17, 2014 - v1.0.3
    • Minor bug fix when closing BIT
    Dec 13, 2014 - v1.0.2
    • Detect if BI freezes, not just crashes
    • Pushover integration added
    • Metric values for pressure and precipitation added
    • Option to close BI before opening in CPU Watchdog
    • $globalip replacement variable added
    • Millimeter and Millibar language definitions added
    • Various bug fixes
    May 25, 2014 - v1.0.1
    • Web server watchdog
    • CPU watchdog alert options
    • Watchdog alert options added
    • Customize language / phrases
    • Easily download / install BIT updates
    • Option to remove 'N/A' and '0' from results in macros
    • Customize unit symbols in results
    • 1-click BI cameras / settings backup
    • Various bug fixes and much more!
    March 30, 2014 - v.1.0.0
    • First public release of Blue Iris Tools
    Language Files
    The files below are user submitted language files. To use the language files in BIT, download the file and put it in your BIT/lang folder. Next, click Options -> Language / Definitions. Select the language in the 'Language' drop-down and click "Use this language". I encourage you to create and share language files. You can create them in BIT and share them here easily by clicking the "Share" button in BIT. A big thanks to those who have shared so far!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yay! Much better than the other methods I've seen floating around for adding weather info!

Amazing work Mike!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Mike likes this.
  4. dalepa

dalepa Administrator

Worked like a charm!! Now I can't wait for my new Hikvision 2632 to arrive for a better pic...

FI8905w-11_25.20140331_214933.jpg

Is there a way to get just the Wind direction instead of the full description?

Mike likes this.
  5. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Not currently but on the next release I will add the option :)

Gray Connolly likes this.
  6. Tardisious

Tardisious n3wb

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Blue Iris just started crashing on me with the latest update (3 times per day avg) Yes there are other programs that can monitor B I but this one is simple, works great and has extras that are nice.

Mike likes this.
  7. atoombunker

atoombunker n3wb

Mike,

Do you know a way to add a blank camera to blue iris?
    Of course at first such a question sounds strange, but i have the following in mind.
    I like the weather overlay very very much.
    There is only one concern: having to much information hovering around at your camera view would interfere with the basic functionality of BI as being our primary cam tool for security and protection.
    There is of course no objection to have a temp or RV sign somewhere in the corner of specific cams, but why not make an entire screen filled with all kinds of extra info?
    And with an entire screen i mean that we would be able to project all kinds of information that is part of the videowall/collection of view offered by BI.
    So: i have 20 cams with actual cams displaying their views, and 1 or 2 screens just filled with all kinds of additional information:
    Think of weather information, but also internal information from our installation/heatingsystem etc could be displayed on a seperate screen.
    Now we know that the only 'limitation' is that we should provide the information in a txt file, we could bring up a dozen extra info items.

Now back to the question: for making such an infoscreen work, we would need to be able to add one or two 'blank' (completely black or white) pages where we can project the info by means of the macrofunction.

Any thoughts on that?

Is there a way to run your software as service (just like blue iris)?
    I see that currently your software does not 'live' anymore after a reboot of the server (since your software assumes that a user should always log in and BI tools can start together with that user).
    In our situation we run Blue Iris on a seperate machine that just is running as dedicated server without any user logging in.

Atoombunker

justgene and missholloway like this.
  8. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Hi @atoombunker,

As of right now it cannot be run as a service, but it can be automatically started and minimized (to tray or not) when the computer turns on. Check out the 'Options' tab. Will this help you? Maybe in the future I can add the option to run as a service.

I'm not sure of a way to add a blank camera but you could duplicate one of your cameras, add the weather information and not record the new camera. I will see what else I think of :D

missholloway likes this.
  9. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

It is easy to add a blank camera!

1. Create a jpg image that is a flat color (use ms paint or something).
    2. Put this jpg image on a web server accessible to BI
    3. Create a Jpeg refresh camera pointing at the image you created

wantafastz28 and Mike like this.
  10. paarlberg

paarlberg Getting the hang of it

You could use a cheap camera and put tape over the lens. :rolleyes-new:

Matt L. likes this.
  11. atoombunker

atoombunker n3wb

Could you point out which cam from the entire cam list to just load a jpg?

Atoombunker

12. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

It is called "JPEG/GIF/etc. image requests" and it is hiding at the very top of the list. Set it to a nice low frame rate with Adjust automatically disabled.

13. toonwolf

toonwolf BIT Beta Team

Great tool Mike! Would it be possible to add metric option for Pressure and Precipitation? Or even better replace Units "Fahrenheit/Celcius" with "Imperial/Metric" then you could drop Speed "MPH/km/h". I know it's a lot to ask but it would be really nice if you could do it.

14. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thanks @toonwolf! I could probably add a metric option for Pressure and Precipitation. Can you shoot me a PM with the units and conversion from standard to metric? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    DWilks likes this.
  15. toonwolf

toonwolf BIT Beta Team

@atoombunker In the meantime you can use NSSM (The Non-Sucking Service Manager) It will let you run any application as a service. It's very easy. It took me longer to write this than to install the service itself (and I'm a fast typer) :)

toonwolf

chuck likes this.
  16. toonwolf

toonwolf BIT Beta Team

@Mike, I had problems with this setting, my computer reboots every night at 3 am, and even if BIT was in the startup folder it would not start. Problem solved by installing and running the application as a service instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  17. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Interesting. BIT is in the Startup folder but still wouldn't start? You're positive it didn't start in the minimized (check tray too) state?

Thanks.

alarmpro likes this.
  18. toonwolf

toonwolf BIT Beta Team

Yes, I've checked in Task Manager and it does not start minimized. Other applications in my startup-folder does start as expected. Running BIT and BI on Windows 8.1 - 64-bit. It's not a big deal as I'm running all applications on this pc as services using NSSM. I guess the option in BIT "Start when Windows Boots" only create a shortcut in the startup-folder for the current user. Maybe you could add the startup to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but then again maybe I'm the only one that have this problem.

Mike likes this.
  19. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thank you for the bug report, I will incorporate this into the next release (releasing it next week)!

20. Kenjusticejr

Kenjusticejr BIT Beta Team

duplicate a camera, go to Paint program, fill a blank canvas with all black..save to folder... go to camera, add image of all black and expand to cover whole screen, set camera to 1 frame every minute... add overlays..done..works awesome, thanks for bringing it up

oops, guess I was late with the response, others beat me to it... back to work for me...

21. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Updated to v1.0.1 on May 25, 2014

I'm very happy to announce the first update of Blue Iris Tools. I added a ton of new features such as a web server watchdog, cpu watchdog alerts, create / import custom languages and more. You can download the update in the first post. A big thanks to all the beta testers for helping get BIT where it is!

What's New
    -Web server watchdog
    -CPU watchdog alert options
    -Watchdog alert options added
    -Customize language / phrases
    -Easily download / install BIT updates
    -Option to remove 'N/A' and '0' from results in macros
    -Customize unit symbols in results
    -Various bug fixes and much more!

watchdog-tab.png language-screen.png

Harrywho and msantic like this.
  22. Harrywho

Harrywho n3wb

Wonderful program. Thanks so much. :peaceful:
    In case anyone were wondering, "BT Tools.exe" can be ran as a service on Win2008RC2 and maybe Win7 as well using srvany.exe.

Mike likes this.
  23. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thank you for the compliment and for sharing @Harrywho. I also plan on adding the option to run as a service within one of the upcoming updates :)

24. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Mike, you have really outdone yourself with the program. This is a whole new level. Simply Amazing.

Mike likes this.
  25. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thanks a lot! Glad to hear that you like the program :)

26. nerdtool

nerdtool n3wb

Mike,
    Thanks for creating this program.
    The program appears to be just what I need. My only question is if it possible to set up different stations for each macro. and then to assign a different macro to each camera ( I have nine - representing 9 different geographic locations)?
    Regards,
    Ed

27. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Hi @nerdtool (Ed),
    Glad you are using BI Tools :D As of right now you can only grab the weather from 1 station at a time but I have thought about adding the ability to use multiple stations. This is definitely something that I will do in an upcoming release.

28. Mike

Mike Staff Member

A big thanks to @grigione for creating an Italian language file. I posted it in the 2nd post in this thread.

29. milwen

milwen n3wb

Mike,

Thanks so much for the BIT software. It's great and works exactly as advertised.

I was wondering if it would be possible and/or a good idea to have the ability for BIT to restart Blue Iris if the CPU usage gets over a certain percentage. I have found that mine typically runs around 20-30% but after a few days it sometimes rises to 60-70%. If I restart Blue Iris it will drop back down.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Kevin

ItechashardasIcanbro and Mike like this.
  30. Kenjusticejr

Kenjusticejr BIT Beta Team

I'll second that idea. I've noticed that (now that I have nine 2-3mp cameras running at 5-20fps) I've been having issues with the GUI causing issues. the GUI will freeze up from time to time, and it seems as though I start getting hundreds of clips that range from 2 to 10 seconds. restarting the GUI seems to fix the issue (I think)... But that would be a nice feature. I can see potential issues getting the UAC bugs worked out with the various versions of windows on a restart, but it's worth looking into. Otherwise, one of the main issues I see coming to light very quickly would be: several cameras start recording at once and spike the CPU causing BI to restart... so, it would be a matter of average CPU usage over a period of time to trigger the restart...

ItechashardasIcanbro and Mike like this.