12v poe cameras on a 48v poe NVR

kenp

n3wb
Reaction score
HI guys,

im a newbie here. i just want to ask is there a way where i can make my camera work with my nvr. i just purchased a camera but its 12v poe. when i connected it to the nvr using ehternet cable, it just wont turn on. my bad for buying something w/o checking the spec of my nvr.:(

badly need your advice. thanks...

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think 12v of the camera says is the jack if you using a power supply. If the camera has poe it work fine with the nvr. Maybe is something else your problem of not showing.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few Chinese cameras that require the 12 volt input as they are not true POE cams. I use POE to 12v adapters similar to this link. They work very well and are powered by the 44-57 volts from POE switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kenp

n3wb
Reaction score
using the adapter you specified, i will just directly connect the ethernet ports from nvr to adapter then from adapter to camera leaving the 12v pin not connected?am i right?
sorry for the silly question.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this image help clarify?
617H1vvZ3iL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
You would connect the adapter to the ethernet and 12 volt connectors on the camera.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tekbotslaya's photo shows how it's connected, ethernet cable in 1 end and both connectors on camera on other end.
The last ones that I ordered were white and provide more weatherproof connections. Here is a link just FYI.

kenp

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. based on the image above will my camera work even if my camera doesnt have 12v pin on it?
my camera only has ethernet port.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, this is a new one for me as I have never seen one without the optional 12v connector. Those adapters will not help this situation I cannot find any info on that camera and only assume it may be made to operate only from a proprietary Hamrol NVR, ....... maybe..... Sorry!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently the 12VDC is fed into the camera on pins 4/5 (DC+) and 7/8 (DC-) of the RJ-45 Ethernet connector.

I suggest you purchase a UL listed 12VDC @ 2.0 amp power supply like this with a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm male power connector.
Then purchase the PoE Texas POE-1 | Passive Power Over Ethernet Injector Combines 10/100 Data and DC Power for PoE Devices .
The device and the power supply are placed indoors, the device accepts that power supply and places the 12VDC power on pins 4/5 (DC+) and 7/8 (DC-) of the Ethernet Rj-45 connector.
The port marked "POE" goes to the camera, the port marked "LAN" goes to your network.
NOTE: Use only Ethernet cable that is terminated to the T-568B standard on BOTH ends of the cable, as pictured below right.

passive-POE_injector.jpg passive-POE_injector_pinout.jpg

passive-POE_injector_schema.jpg RJ45-Pinout-T568B.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question, the lan port will be connected to the nvr?is this correct?
Yes.
The "POE Texas POE-1" LAN port has no connection internally to pins 4/5 and 7/8 so incoming 802.3af POE voltage on an Ethernet cable on those pins will have no affect or purpose to the device; the device will receive power from the POE port; only DATA is passed thru from LAN port to POE port.

kenp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I was already thinking of just accepting the fact that i made a bad purchase.

Glad that i stumble into this forum.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I was already thinking of just accepting the fact that i made a bad purchase.

Glad that i stumble into this forum.
Just look for the positive and count it a lesson learned...from now on, insure cameras are real POE, meaning they conform to the 802.3af/at spec.
Some vendors know there's a lot of info to be absorbed by folks just venturing into surveillance cams, etc. and they count on that "info overload" to offload their cheapened, not-so-standard products.

Take the acronym "POE", it means "Power Over Ethernet". Reputable manufacturers insure it adheres to the 802.3af/at spec but NOT so reputable ones deviate from that spec and apply various voltages to various pins and do so passively.

Example: Zmodo has some cams that use what they term "sPOE" (simplified POE ?) in which 18 VDC is passively applied to pins 1 & 6 which splits a pair used for DATA on genuine POE and it doesn't use pins 4/5 and 7/8 for power. Also, it uses pins 2 & 3 for DATA, which in a standard Ethernet cable is the other half of the split pair mentioned above. This non-standard use of split pairs can leave it prone to noise. AVOID ZMODO AT ALL COSTS, not just for this reason.

Last edited: