2 of my foscam FI9900p totally dead

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
first cam 1 I plugin and everything is fine, i get Ip and it works in blue iris, same with cam 2 no problem.
suddenly I loose picture on cam 1 and I go down to look, the cam is very hot and the lens start to get foggy I unplug power supply
same happen now with cam 2.
now I thought wow 2 power supply burned at same time, but I got a new power supply and both cams
are TOTALLY dead as in dead, no lights, no clicking, absolute nothing.

where is a fuse inside the cam that I can change?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the powers supplies rated for the electrical supply of your country. I.e.if you plug a 120v power supply into 240v supply its not going to like it and things will run hot for a short period of time before failure.

They may be completely dead.

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah no problem, I only have 240v I use the same power supply as always. my 2 cams have worked for more than a year.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got given a Foscam branded camera because the person couldn't get it to work.

I plugged it in, nothing at all registered on my network switch. Network card inside was dead.

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
I got given a Foscam branded camera because the person couldn't get it to work.

I plugged it in, nothing at all registered on my network switch. Network card inside was dead.
I dont think its the network card, because normally when you plug it in, its making a small clicking sound, and it doesnt.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the PoE module let the magic smoke out and went belly up. If they're new cameras, return them if you can and get something better than Foscam.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the powers supplies rated for the electrical supply of your country. I.e.if you plug a 120v power supply into 240v supply its not going to like it and things will run hot for a short period of time before failure.
This hasn't been true for quite some time, Almost all modern equipment will run from around 100v to 240v, and either 50 or 60hz, they are not picky at all

2021-10-19 19.31.44.JPG

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the PoE module let the magic smoke out and went belly up. If they're new cameras, return them if you can and get something better than Foscam.
maybe its the PoE module it controls the temp and other things, and one thing that happen was, the cam got very hot and the lens start to get foggy and so I plug out.
maybe I can buy a PoE module online and change it

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
maybe its the PoE module it controls the temp and other things, and one thing that happen was, the cam got very hot and the lens start to get foggy and so I plug out.
maybe I can buy a PoE module online and change it
looks like the PoE module is the whole motherboard of the cam, coz I have a older cam fi9800p that is open already, and looks like PoE is the whole thing.

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
any chance it's just one electrolytic capacitor that failed? Those are usually easy to replace.
yes could be, I need a technician to look at it. I also asked Foscam support and they said
"The location of TVS is showed in below pictures. You can remove the TVS and check whether you can power up your camera. "
and they sent me this picture.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, all the specs I find for that cam say POE (802.3af) is "N/A" but the power is 12 VDC @ 1.0 Amps.
The standard coaxial power connector size for those 12VDC "wall wart" power supplies are 5.5mm outside x 2.1mm inside with center positive ( + ).

I accidentally plugged in a 24VDC wall wart for a Engenius EOP-2611P radio into a Shelly Wi-Fi switch meant for 12VDC and it let the Shelly's magic smoke out AND bubbled up the plastic in about 15 seconds. It was my fault obviously, as I had been using only Ubiquiti radios for the last 10 years but Engenius should have chosen a different connector. It was a $18 lesson for me, not too bad.

I'd go so far as to read the no-load output of those Foscam power supplies before I went much further.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a multimeter and check the voltage coming out of the wall warts for the cameras. The walwart input voltage may vary between 100 and 240, but the output voltage must be whatever the camera is made for.

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
I have taken out the TVS on the motherboard and suddenly the cam start up, it runs smootly, but in the night when IR on, cam gets very hot, even I switch
power supply still the same.

lovebuine

n3wb
Reaction score
yes could be, I need a technician to look at it. I also asked Foscam support and they said
"The location of TVS is showed in below pictures. You can remove the TVS and check whether you can power up your camera. "
and they sent me this picture.
this electrolytic capacitor you talked about, that is the one on the pic? because after removing it, cam start up, but I have no idea where to buy that kind.