2 Questions : Reolink PTZ & Wildlife

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I may ask....

1) Does any one use a Reolink PTZ and can they get optical zoom working through BI.

2) For those using a camera to monitor wildlife. Do you camouflage the camera - that big white bulb is an obvious scare-baby!
I was considering using strips of black ducktape, zebra-like patterns - or should I try and find brown/green tape too.

Supplementary question : How does one stop being addicted to adding more cameras? :D

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1) I have not used a Reolink PTZ but would not recommend anything from Reolink.

2) the animals will not care about a camera after a few days. big and white or not.
I have raccoons and squirrels climb on my cameras from time to time and birds will use them as roosts while waiting on openings at the feeders.

Supplementary answer : you don't. :p

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
^^ They get use to it in a couple days. ^^

I would pick up a Dahua PTZ and see how good a PTZ can be.
Then your addiction will turn in to a full out war to see how many animals you can catch each night. :D:cool:

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks both. Don't get me wrong - I'm not enthralled with Reolink having just had the PTZ replaced under warranty. Two cams from empireandy will replace them in the main role - but I guess some things BI cannot do.

I asked about the camouflage because a fox was spooked when it saw the camera in the field - that was last year, never seen since!

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i do have that reolink ptz in the past and i dont remember having issues with it in BI . However i remeber the that optical zoom is very slow.

I also don't think animals care about ptz or camera, The most they will just go near it and inspect it for a while and leave it alone the next time they come back. no need to camoflage it at all.

Answer to your supp question: hand over all your cash / bank book / bank cards/ credits card to the wife and let her control your finance.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i do have that reolink ptz in the past and i dont remember having issues with it in BI . However i remeber the that optical zoom is very slow.
BI will do digital zoom, but not optical - unless there's a hidden setting I have missing. I run the Reolink app in the background to make adjustments, but otherwise BI controls.

Answer to your supp question: hand over all your cash / bank book / bank cards/ credits card to the wife and let her control your finance.
;):clap::lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI will do digital zoom, but not optical - unless there's a hidden setting I have missing. I run the Reolink app in the background to make adjustments, but otherwise BI controls.
I guess that is the limitation of not being fully ONVIF compliant LOL. BI optically zooms my Andy Dahua PTZ.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess that is the limitation of not being fully ONVIF compliant LOL. BI optically zooms my Andy Dahua PTZ.
Interesting. I've got my Andy Dahua up, and it didn't optically zoom last night - time to drill down into the settings a bit more.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mine's probably not the same model as yours but it is working as ONVIF(OXML).. no issues whatsoever..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, mine is the 49225 as well. The find/inspect pulled up generic.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just double-checked. I don't have any optical zoom through BI - only digital with the Dahua.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah - From another thread ... My setting under PTZ Tab was Dahua New V5 and I couldn't optically zoom - I can with Dahua New V4.... Shame there doesn't appear to be a switch to allocate optical zoom to the mouse scroll instead of digital. (is there?).

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have several cameras mounted along my waterfront to observe wildlife. My observations are as follows:

The presence of the cameras does not deter wildlife. Sometimes they might pause and look at the IR light but it doesn't seem to spook them.

I had a cable run on top of the ground to a wood duck box temporarily. The first night that a fox came through and saw it and turned around. After that he paid it no mind and crossed over it.

The noise or movement from a PTZ does spook animals so tracking would be a deterrent to wildlife.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah - From another thread ... My setting under PTZ Tab was Dahua New V5 and I couldn't optically zoom - I can with Dahua New V4.... Shame there doesn't appear to be a switch to allocate optical zoom to the mouse scroll instead of digital. (is there?).
Study the BI help file, all sorts of tips and tricks can be gleaned.
You can click on the PTZ window, to pan tilt. See help file.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Aye, but I tend to run BI with Maximise Frame ticked - ptz windows etc removed from view :D