2017 Laview NVR - worth the effort?

sickac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to ipcamtalk, not sure if this is the best forum to post it on - please let me know if you feel like it fits better somewhere else. Here is what I was hoping you could help me with:

4 years ago, I bought this Laview set:

Amazon.com

"2MP IP Security Camera System, Laview 8 Channel Video NVR Recorder with 2TB Hard Drive, 4 Bullet and 2 Dome 1080p Waterproof IP66 CCTV Indoor/Outdoor Home Surveillance System with 100ft Night Vision"

It is still in the box; I am thinking about installing it soon (I know...).
I started asking myself if it is not too late - 4 years in tech seems like long time, I'd hate to dive deep into it, just to learn it is not supported anymore (or possibly terribly outdated). I started reading Laview Android app reviews, and they are somewhat deflating:(

So here is my question:
- Do you think it is worth investing my time into installation and setup of this set, or shall I just give it up, and get something else?

If it comes to my expectations for the set, I don't mind spending time setting it up initially, but I would hate to learn I need to spend a couple of hours troubleshooting whenever they send a software update. I don't have mega expectations if it comes to picture quality, or robust software features. In general, reliability is a keyword here. It would be nice to have a fairly easy to navigate remote access to recordings, but it is not a dealbreaker.
I am comfortable with running wires (not that I am looking forward to it:)), and I think I should be fine with the hardware/software tweaking.

Dang, much longer than expected... Thank you in advance for your help!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If the recorder is a an OEM Hikvision, it might not be friendly with "add on" camera's. Some of the "kits" are somehow crippled to feature sets only available on their Camera. they might work, but they might not have some functions available.
Then again they might. Crap shoot.