24 port Managed PoE Switch Recommendation

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a Cisco ws-c3750-48ps-s managed switched several years ago in preparation for surveillance cameras and I'm finally getting around to buying the cameras; however, the switch I have will not fit inside my media panel and has a fairly loud fan running non-stop which happens to now be a woodshop producing lots of dust.

I've found several smaller footprint 24 port PoE switch which will fit inside the media panel but none seem to have stellar ratings. Do you have any recommendations?

I'm guessing I should buy a managed switch so I can create a VLAN for the cameras and a VLAN for all the other household wired computers, assigning the PC w/BI to both?

48 port switch - https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WS-C3750-48PS-S-100-4-CATALYST-Switch/dp/B00029WZT8

42" Media Panel - https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-47605-28W-Structured-Media-Center/dp/B0009KIN0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541599765&sr=1-1&keywords=leviton+media+panel&th=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Geez, I paid $250 for my switch several years ago and now they're only $30 on eBay. I figured I might get some money back for it but wow it's like a brick now. I was looking at the NetGear GS166PP but I guess I'm better to use the switch I have until it burns up. :(

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a fanless 24 port POE switch. When I was building my network, I went with a non-POE Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 24 because my stuff is all in my home office closet (no doors) and 10' from my desk. It didn't want fan noise. When I added cameras, I got a 18 port BV-Tech unmanaged switch for the cameras. It has 16 10/100 POE ports and two gigabit ports. 10/100 is plenty for the cameras and its fanless. Unmanaged isn't a problem because all of the camera stuff is on the same subnet and the Ubiquiti stuff handles that VLAN and routing. My BI PC is on the POE switch with the cams. Firewall rules allow BI to access the Internet and for me to access anything on the camera subnet from my protected network, but not the other way around.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed the 24 port switches all seem to have the fan thus my thoughts for the 16 port NetGear. I'd read a few reviews of the BV-Tech's with ports going bad which is also why I figured I'd spend a little more on the NetGear. Since the switch will be in the basement and I already spent the $250 on it, I guess I'll just mount it for now and later on will upgrade in this way if and when it dies. Thanks for the feedback!

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found a used 16 port Linksys LGS116P and Netgear fs116p for ~$50 on eBay. Would these be a good deal? I suppose I could stack another one on top of the other if I ever get past needing 8 cameras.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Went with the Linksys since it was a gigabit switch. We’ll see how it works next week.