2nd opinion about an OpenVPN configuration

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And your thoughts on Step 2? Do you believe Full Mode needs to be enabled or not?

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, again. I still have not figured this out and set up an OpenVPN for this router yet.

Speaking with our contractual IT person, and I'm not sure if this is correct being he really does not deal with this, but he said our first problem with setting up an OpenVPN on this router is that our public IPv4 IP address does not match our router IP.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Enabling Full Mode will make internet traffic for the connected client go through your VPN, which is not necessary if your goal is to access cameras.

Speaking with our contractual IT person, and I'm not sure if this is correct being he really does not deal with this, but he said our first problem with setting up an OpenVPN on this router is that our public IPv4 IP address does not match our router IP.
That would be a problem. It sounds like you won't be able to accept incoming connections using IPv4.

If the ISPs at both ends of the VPN connection support IPv6, you may be able to connect the VPN client to the router's IPv6 address. But it is unclear if TP-Link Omada's OpenVPN server is listening on IPv6. Here's a reddit post where someone was unable to make it work. In his case it could have been a firewall issue. I assume his router was automatically creating an IPv4 firewall rule to allow the incoming VPN traffic, but probably neglected to do the same for IPv6. (IPv6 is typically well supported on the backend of routers, but overlooked in their GUI features). It is possible that one would need to manually create a rule in the router's IPv6 firewall to allow the VPN traffic to the router's IPv6 address.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi. Enabling Full Mode will make internet traffic for the connected client go through your VPN, which is not necessary if your goal is to access cameras.

That would be a problem. It sounds like you won't be able to accept incoming connections using IPv4.

If the ISPs at both ends of the VPN connection support IPv6, you may be able to connect the VPN client to the router's IPv6 address. But it is unclear if TP-Link Omada's OpenVPN server is listening on IPv6. Here's a reddit post where someone was unable to make it work. In his case it could have been a firewall issue. I assume his router was automatically creating an IPv4 firewall rule to allow the incoming VPN traffic, but probably neglected to do the same for IPv6. (IPv6 is typically well supported on the backend of routers, but overlooked in their GUI features). It is possible that one would need to manually create a rule in the router's IPv6 firewall to allow the VPN traffic to the router's IPv6 address.
I appreciate your time and info here. All this you stated is new to me, so I got a lot of learning and figuring out to do.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another quick question: to give better examples I wanted to post screenshots.

But I do not want to post the wrong things publicly. What is safe, and what is not safe to post publicly in terms of IPs, etc.?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another quick question: to give better examples I wanted to post screenshots.

But I do not want to post the wrong things publicly. What is safe, and what is not safe to post publicly in terms of IPs, etc.?
You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local LAN will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system because these ranges are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255