4g camera that can be turned on/off remotely

joktok

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
Since i could not find any thread for 4g cameras, i put it here.

I have a cabin on top a hill where i use to spend my weekends and days off.
Its a good are for animals and 2 days ago i saw a bear for the first time in my life.

Now i want to put a camera there so i can see animals live.
Been looking at 4g cameras but the problem is that they alla seem to have automatic start, basicly the will start and record when they detect something, and i think that will not work for me since the distance to th animal can at least a few hundred yards.

Is there a camera that can be turned on and off remotely?
Also, it would be nice to have like 5x zoom.
pan/tilt is a must.

Reaction score
Cams with 5G modem:

But they are only bullet cams with varifocal zoom... No PTZ function... And don't have animals detection...

You can use a normal IP camera with 4G/5G wireless router with ethernet port.. and some power source..

There are a long list of PTZ cams...

Most have 25x optic zoom and auto track function... But only for humans/cars, not for animals...

PTZ with best night performance (very good sensor/optics):

If You want to detect animals from a few hundred meters, hidden in some bush or under trees best are thermal cameras..

WizMind-S cameras (5xx2-S3) received in latest firmware upgrade to AI detection of animals.. Lots of positive comments on forum...

Lots of possibilities..
Depends of needs - do you want more to detect animals or observe them? Manually or automatically?
and a budget? :)

joktok

n3wb
Reaction score
Cams with 5G modem:

But they are only bullet cams with varifocal zoom... No PTZ function... And don't have animals detection...

You can use a normal IP camera with 4G/5G wireless router with ethernet port.. and some power source..

There are a long list of PTZ cams...

Most have 25x optic zoom and auto track function... But only for humans/cars, not for animals...

PTZ with best night performance (very good sensor/optics):

If You want to detect animals from a few hundred meters, hidden in some bush or under trees best are thermal cameras..

WizMind-S cameras (5xx2-S3) received in latest firmware upgrade to AI detection of animals.. Lots of positive comments on forum...

Lots of possibilities..
Depends of needs - do you want more to detect animals or observe them? Manually or automatically?
and a budget? :)
I cant see any prices on that website, but my budget is not that big, 100-300 usd for the camera.

So you are telling me that i can buy a wifi camera like this one and all i need to add is a 4g router and a battery? 8MP 4K Wifi Camera Outdoor Four Lens Three Screen 10X Hybrid Zoom AI Auto Tracking CCTV Security Camera Outdoor PTZ IP Camera - AliExpress

What about starting a camera remotely?
Can all wifi cameras do that?

Reaction score
Profesional cameras normally work 24/7...
They can detect moving people/cars and send notification about this to mobile app...
But this require constant power source (like big solar & battery)..
not in this budget...

there are cheap wifi battery powered cams with small built-in solar which power on only when detect moving object in a few meters area (using PIR detectors like in alarm system).. but you will be not happy from that solutions... and this don't solve problem of router and power for it..

if you have power in cabin you can try to put ethernet cable between cabin and camera location..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello
Since i could not find any thread for 4g cameras, i put it here.

I have a cabin on top a hill where i use to spend my weekends and days off.
Its a good are for animals and 2 days ago i saw a bear for the first time in my life.

Now i want to put a camera there so i can see animals live.
Been looking at 4g cameras but the problem is that they alla seem to have automatic start, basicly the will start and record when they detect something, and i think that will not work for me since the distance to th animal can at least a few hundred yards.

Is there a camera that can be turned on and off remotely?
Also, it would be nice to have like 5x zoom.
pan/tilt is a must.
Game / Trail cameras 'sleep' in a low power mode and wake up when a PIR motion sensor triggers and either record a series of photos or short video clips. Some have cellular modems and upload images or less commonly the video clips are uploaded. Not sure why you think you need a PTZ, but putting up several game cameras would likely work reasonably well for you. It's worth noting that you aren't going to find cameras that work well at "a few hundred yards" for less that $1200+ USD and even those would be poorly suited to your use case

It isn't exactly as if the animals are only moving around when you imagine 'turning on a camera' and tracking them, a use case that's never going to work great but would work better if you were there in person (no need for 4g).

Some cellular game cameras do support the option for live viewing for a few minutes at a time.

There are other cellular security cameras like someone linked above, but they're poorly suited to your application.

I cant see any prices on that website, but my budget is not that big, 100-300 usd for the camera.

So you are telling me that i can buy a wifi camera like this one and all i need to add is a 4g router and a battery? 8MP 4K Wifi Camera Outdoor Four Lens Three Screen 10X Hybrid Zoom AI Auto Tracking CCTV Security Camera Outdoor PTZ IP Camera - AliExpress

For that budget, at best you might be able to get 1-2 decent cellular game cameras (no zoom). Note that obviously there are recurring costs with cellular cameras.

That aliexpress camera you linked is a piece of flaming garbage. You might as well set a pile of money on fire.