4MP Cameras, anyone using them??

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @mcx I'll give this a try! So I will need a 2nd preset to change the resolution besides the existing one that changes the image? And a >4Mpix.xml for changing back to 4mp at day? The string you show for night.bat can be another line added to the existing bat file? Sorry for so many questions.
For day you need 1 preset and 1 bat file which includes strings curl -T...image/channels/1 and curl -T ...4Mpix.xml...streaming/channels/1 and for night you need 2nd preset and 2nd bat file which includes strings curl -T...image/channels/1 and curl -T ...2Mpix.xml...streaming/channels/1 for night.

I have noticed that if I change to 4MP the whole view is not shown in Blue Iris. Restarting the camera or BI does not help, I've had to manually rebuild the cam in BI to get the correct view, but it just affects the live view, it records the entire view correctly. I'm running v4.2.8.5 so maybe that has been fixed on newer versions.
I noticed same but I did not restart camera or BI, only right click restart on selected camera and it shown correctly. that's why I added new "restart" events.

I'm running v4.3.6.1...you sholud try.:)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@mcx you have been a tremendous help for me with his, thank you! I have done this on my front and back cameras and it seems to be working great. I updated to v4.3.6.1 so now I can correct the BI live view with just a restart whereas before it would take a complete rebuild of the camera to fix it, and so far v4.3.6.1 seems to be running trouble-free for me. I'll see how the night/day switches work tonight and tomorrow morning but I believe I will work very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mcx

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@mcx you have been a tremendous help for me with his, thank you! I have done this on my front and back cameras and it seems to be working great. I updated to v4.3.6.1 so now I can correct the BI live view with just a restart whereas before it would take a complete rebuild of the camera to fix it, and so far v4.3.6.1 seems to be running trouble-free for me. I'll see how the night/day switches work tonight and tomorrow morning but I believe I will work very well.
Glad you got it working.:) I personally don't use it since I only have 3MP cameras and they have been set to 2MP because of wider FOV.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it working.:) I personally don't use it since I only have 3MP cameras and they have been set to 2MP because of wider FOV.
So why 3Mp and not the 2Mp?

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So why 3Mp and not the 2Mp?
I bought them a long time ago and thought that more pixels is better and didn't understand that the DS-2cd2032 3MP aspect ratio is 4:3 and 2MP is 16:9.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought them a long time ago and thought that more pixels is better and didn't understand that the DS-2cd2032 3MP aspect ratio is 4:3 and 2MP is 16:9.
That's exactly what I did. Think I'm right in saying that Hik 4Mp are 4:3?

Also is the Hik 3Mp defaulted at 1080p and you have to select 3Mp?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some of us prefer the 4x3 aspect ratio, especially turned sideways (corridor mode)... :)

on the 3MP Hiks, I like it better than the 1080p/2MP mode as the 2MP mode is scaled down,
while the 3MP image is pixel-for-pixel. That may explain why some folks see the 2MP picture as 'better',
the scaling having smoothed (blurred) out some of the details that are otherwise construed as noise
in low-light conditions...