4MP vs 6MP same sensor size

Rack201

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve learnt a bit reading these forums and am trying to select a camera with a 1/1.8 sensor size. Looking at hikvision as I don’t see many readily available from Dahua with this sensor size.

For my budget I am trying to decide between:

DS-2CD2347G2–LU (4MP) and
DS-2CD2367G2-LU-2 (6MP)

I understand that for low light, as they both have the same sensor size, the 4MP should be marginally better, but in daylight am I going to miss going to a 6MP (or even 8MP with smaller sensor)? Probably hard to answer I know. If it helps the cameras will be covering a distance of ~10m or less for the most part.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yes to the 4MP. You wont see enough of a difference in daytime to be a deal breaker. Now 8MP will be a noticeably better image during the day.

Dahua makes a number of cameras with the 1/1.8 sensor. The entire 5442 series, which is the GoTo cam for most of us uses the 1/1.8" sensor in 4MP
WizMind S Series - Dahua International

Dahua also makes a larger 1/1.2' sensor camera in 8MP/4K. It is a spectacular image, though that sensor has limitations in its range of focus and only comes in fixed lenses
IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Dahua International
IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED - Dahua International

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - go with the camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, or anything in green on this chart:

1701828067506.png

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

An 8MP on the same size sensor as a 4MP would need double the light to produce the same brightness as the 4MP. These sensors are tiny and we want to get as much light onto them as possible.

Dahua has many more options on the ideal MP/sensor ratio than Hikvision. Reach out to trusted member @EMPIRETECANDY that sells Dahua OEM and has an Amazon site, his own website, and you can order direct from him as well. We have many members here that have purchased from him from your country.

Do keep in mind that a camera to IDENTIFY at say 3 meters is different than a camera to identify at 10 meters.

See this thread for the importance of getting the proper focal length for the distance you want to IDENTIFY - in some instances it might be a 2MP camera. This thread lists the most commonly recommended cameras based on overall performance day and night and cost.

Rack201

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - the WizMind 5442 series seems more expensive vs the Hikvision equivalents (in terms of sensor size and MP I listed above). Is it essentially the more advanced AI features you are paying for?

Another novice question - does a camera with a varifocal lens automatically focus on a detected object, or just allows you to set the appropriate focal length for your install location (I assume the latter).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the latter.

Some PTZ cams have auto-tracking to focus on and follow a target.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - the WizMind 5442 series seems more expensive vs the Hikvision equivalents (in terms of sensor size and MP I listed above). Is it essentially the more advanced AI features you are paying for?
Dahua 5442 is very well implemented solution - where sensor, optics, ISP (processing) and firmware is done very well. Newest 5442 S3 goes even higher in this terms.
Is also very well tested and always behaves the same - You can choose any variant (chassis, optics / zoom range, IR/white etc) and it will work the same.

HIK has hundreds of models and and there is a big difference in video quality between models. I saw 4Mpx models with 1/1.8" sensor, which worked bad (very noisy night image, even after long work on video configuration). They refresh camera models very often, the same firmware is used for different lines with hundreds models so is changed very often due a new models (lots of stability problem), the same firmware can behave different on different camera models, there is lack of one preferred stable product Pro line with long life and good quality/price ratio.

ps. contact Andy from empire tech to get good prices for dahua...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is also difference beetwen HIK/Dahua about AI.
All Dahua cameras released in last 4 years have AI. PERIOD.
Only some cameras from HIk from that time have AI.

For long time you had to choose between ColorVu (Full Color) and AcuSense (AI capable) features. Hik didn't have models which had both. In last year this changed, but You must be beware - there a lots of HIK models on market which aren't AcuSense..

The same is about NVR's - last Dahua NVR series which didn't have local AI capabilities (for older non-AI cameras) was 4ks2 from 2016 (or 2017 - I don't remeber). All lines after (I, L, EI) had local AI capabilities in base models (and price). Most HIK NVR on market don't have local AI capabilities (even the latest M line). There is one dedicated line with AcuSense feature, but very limited and high price.

Newest Dahua WizMind-S 5xxx cameras have SMD, IVS, Face detection, video metadata, people counting, heat map, object detection and AcuSense.
Latest Pro line HIK cameras have Motion Detection 2.0 (SMD), IVS and some form face detection (which disables other AI). That's all.

Off course - most people simply use only SMD/IVS. But AcuSense is very nice feature in newest Dahua cams and works with IVS..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua 5442 is very well implemented solution - where sensor, optics, ISP (processing) and firmware is done very well. Newest 5442 S3 goes even higher in this terms.
Is also very well tested and always behaves the same - You can choose any variant (chassis, optics / zoom range, IR/white etc) and it will work the same.

HIK has hundreds of models and and there is a big difference in video quality between models. I saw 4Mpx models with 1/1.8" sensor, which worked bad (very noisy night image, even after long work on video configuration). They refresh camera models very often, the same firmware is used for different lines with hundreds models so is changed very often due a new models (lots of stability problem), the same firmware can behave different on different camera models, there is lack of one preferred stable product Pro line with long life and good quality/price ratio.

ps. contact Andy from empire tech to get good prices for dahua...
Yep. I have one DS-2CD2347G2–LU and several 5442 cameras. Not even a comparison. The Dahua wins hands down.