5442 4MP Starlight Day / Night switching issues

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good evening. Have any of you had issues with the 5442 switching repetitivley back and forth between Day and Night profile at dusk? I have one that will just keep bouncing between Day mode / Color, and Night mode B&W for like 15 minutes around dusk time. I know about the sunrise / sunset utility here on the forum but I was curious if anybody else has experienced this and corrected it without the use of a 3rd party service that needs to be running 24/7. I can use it if I have to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That can happen in certain locations/situations where it is right on the cusp of is it color or B/W.

Is it really bouncing between Day and Night mode or just color and B/W?

If it is just it cannot decide if it is color or B/W, then just force it to B/W if that is what you run at night or change the sensitivity so that it isn't as sensitive on if it should be color or B/W.

Or you set up a schedule for day/night and go in there a couple times a year and adjust based on the seasons and sunrise/sunset falling at widely different times.

Or use the utility that was created by a member here - it is so small that it will not even register as CPU usage.

I think very few of us run the day/night auto profile in the dahua camera because it is so buggy.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That can happen in certain locations/situations where it is right on the cusp of is it color or B/W.

Is it really bouncing between Day and Night mode or just color and B/W?

If it is just it cannot decide if it is color or B/W, then just force it to B/W if that is what you run at night or change the sensitivity so that it isn't as sensitive on if it should be color or B/W.

Or you set up a schedule for day/night and go in there a couple times a year and adjust based on the seasons and sunrise/sunset falling at widely different times.

Or use the utility that was created by a member here - it is so small that it will not even register as CPU usage.

I think very few of us run the day/night auto profile in the dahua camera because it is so buggy.
Yes it's changing between the profiles. I can watch in in the camera GUI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then go with setting a schedule and go in there a couple times a year and adjust based on the seasons and sunrise/sunset falling at widely different times. I have found using the day/night profile in the dahua cams to not be very good, which was why the sunrise/sunset utility was created and it works very well with no real taxing on a computer and go with that option.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Then go with setting a schedule and go in there a couple times a year and adjust based on the seasons and sunrise/sunset falling at widely different times. I have found using the day/night profile in the dahua cams to not be very good, which was why the sunrise/sunset utility was created and it works very well with no real taxing on a computer and go with that option.
Yea I'm aware of the option. I'm using it on 2 other networks with older dahua cams. I just cant believe in 2020-2021 Dahua can't write firmware that can correctly handle the job of switching profiles depending on ambient light. The firmware should have a "buffer" built in to eliminate hopping back and forth between profiles for 10-15 minutes. It definitley is specific to certain cicuimstances though. I have an identical camera on the same side of the house that does not exhibit this issue.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go to settings, conditions, day&night, set your delay to 10 seconds, and play with the sensitivity to see
what way will make it stay in one mode.
I was going to try that but I must be having some operator error going on. Those settings are greyed out for me. Only if I set the profile to "general" do those options become changable for me. Maybe I'm not aware of what profile scheme I should actually be using.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I was going to try that but I must be having some operator error going on. Those settings are greyed out for me. Only if I set the profile to "general" do those options become changable for me. Maybe I'm not aware of what profile scheme I should actually be using.
Do you have the profile setting on day/night?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The schedule program works well if you can't get the camera to change.
I have one that car headlights sweep across it and mess with it.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 5442's. Thought I was going to break the IR filter motor prematurely. I now use Brian's (BP2008) Sunrise/Sunset tool. Follow the directions on the tool. You can tweek the adjustment times for your purpose. All my cams will switch at once. Only drawback is if you turn on flood lights or car lights at night, the cam will stay in IR mode. Not that it is necessarily bad. I am happy with results.

Last edited:

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably greyed out as their fix to the problem LOL. Go with setting a schedule.
If the schedule was able to reference the sun based on latitude and longitude it would be useful. Otherwise it's worthless. Nobody is going to go back in there every month or two to adjust.

I'll just have to use the utility like I use at my other two Networks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If anyone here uses Home Assistant, I wrote a UNIX/Linux shell script that is triggered by an ESPHome light sensor. I posted a link to the project in the Home Automation forum. It's fairly simple: ESPHome light sensor (<$10) triggers an HA Automation that fires a Linux script.