5442 Wattage Draw

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I’m setting up my system and want to ensure I have solid power, it says they used less than 7.5, have y’all found this to be true?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are cutting it that close on your switch it will lead to trouble lol. But yes it should be less than that or close.

You don't want to run the POE switches close to capacity.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay great I have a 50 watt overhead so I’m good, I just wanted to make sure that I’m planning accordingly. Do you have your Cameras on the same POE as your access points?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have your Cameras on the same POE as your access points?
If those are wireless access points meant for Internet access then no, it is not recommended to allow cameras to have access to the Internet.
Ideally they would be on their own isolated subnet, apart from the Internet.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do holiday lighting synced to music. I use either Meanwell power supplies or old server power supplies. The lights at 100% white use 0.6 watts. Because there are so many in one spot, I run them at a max or 30%, or 0.18 watts per light at full white. They are rarely all white so they rarely ever run at that max. But I still use the max consumption in the power calculations out of caution. I also don't go above 80% of the rated power of the power supply. So I only plan on using 290 watts on a 360 watt (12v 30a) power supply. I don't know if that 80% guidance would carry over to poe switches but I've been conditioned to use it so I did when designing my layout and deciding my power needs.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If those are wireless access points meant for Internet access then no, it is not recommended to allow cameras to have access to the Internet.
Ideally they would be on their own isolated subnet, apart from the Internet.
I have them on a separate VLAN that is not allowed to talk to the rest of the system, I can only talk to them. I am utilizing a Unifi system; is this not advisable?

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
POE switches aren't that expensive. I went overkill on mine. Why buy a bunch of nice cameras and cheap out on the switch?
It’s not that I have a cheap switch, Unifi 24 port POE with 250 Watts of power, I just wanted to ensure that the power specs were on point, as I’m running 5 AP’s and 2 tablets with POE as well, didn’t want a spike.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are your 5442s running IR at night or are they in color. Running with IR on is about 7.2W, 2.6W without IR.
I have no clue at this time, I am imagining IR for most of them, maybe on at color. Thank you for the numbers.