60% CPU w/ Optimizations

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wanted to check the optimizations with you to see if you thought I've exhausted everything in the Wiki (and beyond) and if I should be comfortable/complacent with 60% CPU/50% RAM utilization. Please also let me know if there are any screenshots that would be helpful here!
  • (4) Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE (5th pending install)
  • Dedicated Optiplex 5040 SFF i7-6700 3.40GHz 8GB RAM 240GB SSD 6TB WD Purple Win10 Pro
  • Running as server, direct-to-disk, intel driver set to known working (dropped CPU from 90%) and then updates disabled; confirmed in Task Mgr that QuickSync is working
  • FPS in BI set to 15; when I log in directly to my cams, I no longer have the ability to change settings like FPS (I did when I used the Dahua NVR, which I no longer have)
  • Machine has separate GPU, which I'm not using
Thanks for your guidance

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
  • FPS in BI set to 15; when I log in directly to my cams, I no longer have the ability to change settings like FPS (I did when I used the Dahua NVR, which I no longer have)
Why not? What broswer are you using? Blue Iris doesn't set the camera FPS. You have to change it from the camera.

Also, enabling substreams would drop your CPU utilization down to ~10%. Its a massive savings.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use Internet Explorer to change settings in the cameras. It is still built into windows, just type "explorer" in the search bar. If you still can't adjust things, manually reset the cameras, one at a time, to factory default by holding the reset button down for at least 15 seconds with power applied. That will re-initialize the cameras totally to factory default. There is a bug in the 5442 firmware where if you create another "admin" user that user can't change settings like you are experiencing.

Another thing to do is to use sub streams. You can see the cameras I'm running on the same processor in my signature line. Utilization varies from about 15% to 25% depending on time of day and amount of motion. You might also consider upping the memory to 16GB using matching, dual channel, RAM chips.

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Use Internet Explorer to change settings in the cameras. It is still built into windows, just type "explorer" in the search bar. If you still can't adjust things, manually reset the cameras, one at a time, to factory default by holding the reset button down for at least 15 seconds with power applied. That will re-initialize the cameras totally to factory default. There is a bug in the 5442 firmware where if you create another "admin" user that user can't change settings like you are experiencing.

Another thing to do is to use sub streams. You can see the cameras I'm running on the same processor in my signature line. Utilization varies from about 15% to 25% depending on time of day and amount of motion. You might also consider upping the memory to 16GB using matching, dual channel, RAM chips.
Thank you - I never had an issue changing the camera settings, I had tweaked everything directly to the cams when I used the NVR, but now most of the drop-downs are blank. I'm really hesitant to reset each camera, taking the 5442 apart is a bit of a PITA and I need to get on some ladders :) Your utilization sounds fantastic. Won't moving to subs by definition reduce the quality even more? Upping RAM to 16GB is something I planned to do anyway, so maybe that's a good starting point.

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Why not? What broswer are you using? Blue Iris doesn't set the camera FPS. You have to change it from the camera.

Also, enabling substreams would drop your CPU utilization down to ~10%. Its a massive savings.
I'm referring to changing them directly to the camera; I'm not sure why they are no longer present. They were there when I used the Dahua NVR. Once I ditched it for BI I no longer had that same access. Is it fair to say that nearly everyone who is running low CPU is using sub-streams? I had no issue running Main with the NVR, I just wanted to level-up the game with BI, so this feels a bit counter-intuitive to me.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
BI will use the sub streams for motion detection and recording, assuming 24/7 recording, until it detects motion. It then switches to full resolution for the events. That time includes the pre buffer time and the after trigger times. I went from being able to store a week and a half worth of video to over a month by switching to sub streams not to mention the tremendous drop in CPU utilization.

I've never used an NVR, but my understanding is that they use sub streams extensively and may use them for recording as well. Just a random though about NVRs based on reading a few threads here and there.

The reset button on a 5442 is under the cover for the SD card of the camera. Yes, it can be a PITA to get to if the camera is mounted, but there is no other way to get back to default.

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
BI will use the sub streams for motion detection and recording, assuming 24/7 recording, until it detects motion. It then switches to full resolution for the events. That time includes the pre buffer time and the after trigger times. I went from being able to store a week and a half worth of video to over a month by switching to sub streams not to mention the tremendous drop in CPU utilization.

The reset button on a 5442 is under the cover for the SD card of the camera. Yes, it can be a PITA to get to if the camera is mounted, but there is no other way to get back to default.
Thanks - will give that a shot and see how I fare.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, substream is a must.

The NVR was using substream, you just didn't know it - it uses the substream for multi-camera view and the app and other things.

Set the FPS in BI back to the auto setting. Do not adjust anything not discussed in the wiki as it will have an opposite effect than what you think it does.

BI does not have an icon to get into each camera gui like the Dahua NVR does. You need to open Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of each camera.

What I did is I have set IE as the default browxer, then in BI I go to the camera setting and tap on the IP address of the camera and boom it opens up IE just like how you can for an NVR....

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
As others have said, substream is a must.

The NVR was using substream, you just didn't know it - it uses the substream for multi-camera view and the app and other things.

Set the FPS in BI back to the auto setting. Do not adjust anything not discussed in the wiki as it will have an opposite effect than what you think it does.

BI does not have an icon to get into each camera gui like the Dahua NVR does. You need to open Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of each camera.

What I did is I have set IE as the default browxer, then in BI I go to the camera setting and tap on the IP address of the camera and boom it opens up IE just like how you can for an NVR....
Thanks wittaj! You're on every thread I post #guru Will report back and let everyone know how I made out.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
6-19% CPu on i5-8500 6 core no hyperthreading, 1.05 GB Ram.
15 cams, 7 IPC EmpireTech Andy cams, 5 Amcrest, and 2 Hik. 7 are 4Mp or higher. Substreams on. [ ] jpegs in record tab: reduced to 2.0 seconds during trigger. New version im running now had Jpegs defaulted to continous? what the what? lol cpu was 99% like that. fixed right away. check that out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you exclude everything listed in the BI help file from any virus software? Even needs to be performed in Windows Defender.
That CPU usages is way too high for that load.
Did you do a clean install of windows, using the MS Media Creation tool?
Take the separate GPU out of the machine, that's just using more electricity.

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you exclude everything listed in the BI help file from any virus software? Even needs to be performed in Windows Defender.
That CPU usages is way too high for that load.
Did you do a clean install of windows, using the MS Media Creation tool?
Take the separate GPU out of the machine, that's just using more electricity.
Hey - great username - yes to all of your questions and I'll pull the GPU, great idea.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another satisfied customer LOL

It is amazing how much nudging we have to give to convince someone that substreams are not evil LOL:lmao:

A member here was running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU. Direct-to-disc and substreams are a must....