64 random cameras. Stuggling with off the shelf Dahua and Hik-Vision NVRs

Mario P

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand that most people set up home systems with 4 or 8 cameras. I'm not normal, so I currently have 57 cameras online, with possibly 4-6 more getting added here and there.

I have a hodgepodge of mainly Dahua and HikVison IP cameras. Currently, I'm utilizing a Dahua 128ch NVR (mainly due to the 384Mbps bandwidth).
I have a few of the 12MP 360° Dahua cameras, and most recently added a few of the 180°, dual lens HikVision cameras. The rest of them are typical 2-4MP 2.8-3.6mm cameras. I also got a few PTZs on the front and back of the house.

My issue is with my current recorder functionality.
  • I get limited to no motion events due to a mixture of cameras.
  • I get zero analytics or camera follow-me features.
The biggest issue is I can't seem to find macros or IP strings to be able to issue contact closure or IP commands to display specific camera matrix views. For example, if we had a birthday party, I would want a 9-camera view with cameras 1,2,6,8,20,21,22,41,44 displayed. If there was an alarm event, perhaps a 25-camera matrix with x,y,z cameras in a specific view. For Amazon delivery, perhaps a 4-camera view of 1,15,2,26. Is there a platform out there that will support that? Can BlueIris do that?
- I have an HDMI video distribution system (JAP) in the house, so being able to use a remote and call one of those views with a press of a button would be a must. This can't be something that would require going to the office and messing with the software.

I would like to avoid monthly, and yearly licensing fees if I can avoid it. for 64 cameras, if the license fee is $100, that's well into the 5-digit territory by the time I add a recorder and HDDs.

What system can I purchase or build that would meet the above-listed requirements?
Surerly, I can't be the only crazy one that has something like that in their house.1705052712475.png

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua have a new WizMind NVR:

Network bandwidth increased is to 512 mbit (local AI enabled) or 1024 mbit (local AI disabled).

There are 32/64/128 chanel versions.

It have AI builtin - if your cameras are dumb, NVR can add up to 32 cameras AI filtering for human / car detections.

It have 4 HDMI 4K outputs - so You can display different camera configurations to different monitors / TVs. Or even all 4 HDMI connected to each TV or monitor (directly, by some HDMI matrix, HDBaseT matrix / distribution system, IP video distribution system), so You can switch which one You want to see on each TV / monitor.

There are 16 alarm inputs and 8 output.

PS. For bigger solutions, usually VMS are the way to go. But most profesional VMS cost a lot. BlueIris is popular cheap VMS for home use. NxWitness VMS and Milestone XProtect are more profesional ones.

PS2. if you want to stay with NVR - usually for bigger camera count (like 64) companies are using two/three NVR's in parallel (some cameras are supported by first NVR, some by second).

Last edited: