A beginner asks: how to remove recordings and setup SMD or IVS on a 5442?

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using a 5442 from EmpireTech for a while now. However, how to remove recordings and snapshots saved on the microSD card? At the Playback menu, I have not found any option to delete certain recordings. There is surely the formatting menu under Settings, but it would of course remove all of the recordings.

I do not understand what is the purpose of Smart Motion Detection. Looks like it works only when the standard motion detection is enabled, but there are no settings at the SMD menu expect the type of the object (human or vehicle). I activated both the SMD and the standard MD, and they are somewhat OK. Still, SMD is often activated after MD but not usually at the same time, resulting in snapshots the object has already disappeared (in fact, some of the snapshots are saved many seconds the monitored area is clear again). Perhaps I have not setup the anti-dither correctly, now it is set to 20 seconds?
It is commonly recommended here that IVS should be used instead of SMD. Is that true? I am currently interested in taking snapshots onto the microSD of vehicles and bypassers. SMD has sensitivity option while IVS Tripwire does not. When to use IVS Tripwire, SMD and the standard MD?

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
Must I enable IVS at the Smart Plan? Does the shape of the IVS region matter: line vs. a box, is there a difference?
Is there a setting to take a snapshot at certain intervals, like every 15 minutes?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In theory, MD will trigger for anything that moves; SMD will build on MD by eliminating things other than cars or vehicles. IVS adds more intelligence to the mix.

One should either use MD/SMD or IVS and not both at the same time.

It comes down to field of view - for most IVS works the best, but in some situations SMD is better. Just have to try it and test it both ways.

Yes, you need to enable smart plan so that IVS knows which intelligence you are using.

The IVS rule comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. For some a tripwire works best and others intrusion box works the best. As above, best to test it for your field of view. Keep in mind the camera needs time to identify the object before it triggers, so try to resist the urge to draw the lines near the edges of the camera view.

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, got it. I am testing IVS right now. I can see the Tripwire lines at the Live window.

I also found the way to take snapshots at intervals (Camera->Video->Snapshot / General, and enable General snapshots at Storage->Schedule) .
But how to purge old snapshots and recordings manually?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it really worth leaving or saving any? I would just reformat or let it simply override as it gets full.

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it really worth leaving or saving any? I would just reformat or let it simply override as it gets full.
Hmm, I guess you are right. This also reduces tge risk of removing relevant recordings :)

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
Another issue appeared. For my surveillance scenario, intrusion detection works extremely well for humans, and I use both Appears and Crosses with Enters&Exists option to detect bypassers. Motor vehicles is a more complicated case. I would like to record all the vehicles that come to an area, but not to trigger further events if they are parked there. I have so far employed Tripwire for such scenario. As wittag pointed out, the Tripwire must be set not too close to the borders of the line of sight for reliable detections. I have considered Intrusion with Crosses-only option. Is an event triggered every time the bounding box of a (parked) car intersects with the intrusion region (the car is not fully contained within the region)? Have I understood the concepts right: using the Appears option would definitely trigger an event if the bounding box of a parked car intersected with the Intrusion region?

Last edited:

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way, should the event log (on the Alarm page) be stored permanently? If I monitor the Alarm tab and log out, the events are gone when I login back. Hence, I can only view the events triggered during the active browser session.

EDIT: Can the web interface login timeout be disabled?

Last edited: