A big 'Thank You' from Oklahoma

Clint3200

n3wb
Reaction score
Found this forum a couple weeks ago.
Read and re-read the entire wiki, then read it again.

I had bought a couple Foscam 8910's long ago and they were OK for email alerts telling me when UPS stopped in and such. I also used Blue Iris for an NVR.

But as they have aged I decided to look into a better setup which brought me here.

Here is where you guys have got me so far:
I got an 8-port POE switch, learned how to make my own ethernet cables (bought solid copper Monoprice 5e) and purchased a coupleHDW2231R-ZS from EmpireTecAndy (one here and one on the way), put POE and cameras on separate subnet, killed all port-fwd and setup VPN, adjusted Blue Iris per Wiki....whew.

I do have my first question - if this needs to be asked in a different thread, let me know and I'll edit and move.. - With only one camera connected while using Blue Iris, this is what my Ethernet Usage looks like Ethernet.JPG :

Is that normal? If not, what could be the cause?

Thanks again for all the contributors:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found this forum a couple weeks ago.
Read and re-read the entire wiki, then read it again.

I had bought a couple Foscam 8910's long ago and they were OK for email alerts telling me when UPS stopped in and such. I also used Blue Iris for an NVR.

But as they have aged I decided to look into a better setup which brought me here.

Here is where you guys have got me so far:
I got an 8-port POE switch, learned how to make my own ethernet cables (bought solid copper Monoprice 5e) and purchased a coupleHDW2231R-ZS from EmpireTecAndy (one here and one on the way), put POE and cameras on separate subnet, killed all port-fwd and setup VPN, adjusted Blue Iris per Wiki....whew.

I do have my first question - if this needs to be asked in a different thread, let me know and I'll edit and move.. - With only one camera connected while using Blue Iris, this is what my Ethernet Usage looks like View attachment 35342 :

Is that normal? If not, what could be the cause?

Thanks again for all the contributors:headbang:
Network traffic from the cam will depend on what bitrate you have set...in the cam.
You can look at the cams setup page in BI and see what bps and frame rate it's sending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clint3200

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the zig-zag pattern was normal looking for a camera feed. It almost appreared like an interference pattern.