A few Questions about my IP camera setting.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 IP cameras all from Andy. (2 )IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 (2) K42A ** Indoors and (2) IPC-T5442TM-AS 6mm All functioning thanks to this forum and a couple of very generous ,helpful people. I have read everything here as suggested many times... Still I have a few issues that I need help with. First. Should I set the front cameras which have seperate IR illuminators IPC-5542 for night with only the illuminators for light or set them for when the LED perimeter lights go on? It seems like you can`t cover both ... Also, I have read some excellent tutorials on shutter speed and setting . I set them at 12 FPS, max resolution, half of the highest bit rate for night and day. Heres my problem. I cannot seem to find a perfect manual setting for shutter and gain.I have bookmarked some of the best articles and notes, I have tried so many combinations .What seems great will not be great another time. And I realise they are different cameras, and I might go with all 5442 soon. Lastly I seem to have them all set to record 24/7 but some days I look at timeline on Synology and nothing shows the whole night except cars going by in 1 camera. Is that because of IVS settings? These would be events. No event no recording. Lastly if I search in the camera setting it says no upgrades, but I do see them discussed here. Are software upgrades a good idea from Andy, or can they cause problems if I never did it? I recently retired so I have some time to get reaquainted with my cameras. As you can probably tell I`m not that IP knowledgeable but I`m still learning Thanks for any advise.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras! Auto/default settings rarely produce the best results, especially at night.

Since you have floodlights, you want to dial it in to those being on or you will suffer from blindness in the camera settings - either as it goes from B/W to color OR the settings are set up to allow too much light and faces are washed out when the light comes on.

The cameras need time to identify the object and then run it through the algorithm to decide if it needs to trigger. Poor camera settings, took dark of a setting, or a field of view trying to do too much can result in IVS missing.

It is best to not update for the sake of updating. If you know it will be fixing something that YOU are having a problem with, then ok. Many of my cameras from Andy are still running several old firmware even though a newer is available. The 49225 PTZ is one such beast where updating it will remove autotracking from the PTZ - and that is the whole reason people purchase that PTZ.

Now if you bought from Andy, it is a known vendor and the risk is minimal and if there is an issue, you can rollback. But outside of that, updating just for kicks can result in bricking cameras or losing features.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible. HLC at 50, unless for LPR, will certainly degrade the image with motion.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will be rereading it many times . I will try your suggestions ASAP . The setting for LEDS on or off was really annoying me as I had enough light with the IR illuminator to see very well in almost complete darkness. Until the LEDS went on !! Does the backlight feature apply to only daytime? And I did have good luck with 11ms but I was using 66 as gain. I am also wondering if camera setting like Frame rate and Reference and Max bit rates have a big effect on final picture quality. A daytime frame rate can go pretty high and I thought would make a better picture, or maybe just a better video.. I do slightly comprehend that 10 FPS will get more information into each frame over 40 FPS , meaning better picture in each frame , Thoughts on this? Anyway I am starting to have more time for this and I do have a few more cameras to put up. Thanks again!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shutter speed is much more important than FPS. Most of us use 10-15 FPS.

Bitrate absolutely impacts the picture quality - too low and it is a pixel mess. Too high and you are wasting storage space with no real appreciable return.

For a 4MP cam, I start at 8192 and CBR and then adjust up and down until my eyes do not see a difference. Some will run 20,000 and others can run 4192. YMMV based on field of view.

Backlight will work in nighttime, but you should only use it AFTER exhausting every other method first. It can add artifacts and other issues, so use it as low as possible if you do.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras and NVRs, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

I have a cheapo camera I use for overview purposes, but one of the cool things that camera has though in the gui is it shows the CPU usage. If I max out the FPS, bitrate, use it's motion detection and set it to middle sensitivity, the CPU maxes out 100% quite often. If I run it at 15 FPS with an appropriate bitrate and motion detection at a reasonable level, the CPU sits around 40%. I suspect even the more expensive cameras function close to this.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. It is a very interesting I will be paying a little more attention to my settings now. I haven`t really gotten to where I`ve tried to balance all these factors. Thanks ! You`ve given me a reason to return to this hobby. I use a Synology because I already had it.I have a very capable computer . I am pretty happy with it. Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
This is a good thread about settings...

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering when you would comment . Thanks for the link. I have been away from this long enough to have to relearn it.Too many other things to figure out... I have to say I cannot seem to tell the difference between a minimal bitrate and the highest customised rate. I always used VBR , but I am trying CBR. What and where would I be looking at to find the optimal bitrate for each camera ? Thanks !