A Live Camera Installation on a Building Demolition

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This morning I installed a Dahua camera that will watch the removal of a historic mural before the building is demolished. The 38' x 140' mural has been there for 65 years and is composed of 763,000 one inch squares of tile. The mural removal should take about three months. For more information on the mural see Pershing Mural - Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation .

The setup is built around a Dahua N45DB7Z camera. In the box is a POE switch to power the camera and a raspberry pi that is used to convert the camera RTSP stream to RTMP for YouTube. The pi is powered by POE.
The raspberry pi also monitors the bandwidth used. If the bandwidth drop to close to zero the encoder is restarted . This keeps the stream alive in the event of a internet glitch or power bump. The white cylinder
in the housing converts the 48vdc POE to 24vdc for the Ubiquiti radio.

Internet and power is provided by the building owner. The building WIFI is acquired through a Ubiquiti 5ghz client. The camera also sends a still image every 15 minutes to an FTP server at my shop to be used to generate
a timelapse movie upon project completion.

Here is a link to the YouTube livestream.

Last edited:

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you monitor the temperature of the Pi?
It's a small box without active cooling (on summer), will the Pi survive there long enough in the sun?
Guessing the POE for the Pi also adds up more heat...

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you monitor the temperature of the Pi?
It's a small box without active cooling (on summer), will the Pi survive there long enough in the sun?
Guessing the POE for the Pi also adds up more heat...
The processor temp is always a concern. Right now it is 66F outside and the pi temp is 50.5C. I usually check late in the afternoon and so far I have not had a problem with this one. Yesterday afternoon the outside temp was 97F and the pi temp was 79C. Still below the 85C spec. Saturday it is forecasted to be 105F here. One thing I have going for me on this installation is the camera is under an overhang and does not see the afternoon sun. The POE board also has a fan.

It looks like the contractor started working this morning at sunup. The mural faces west, so the afternoon sun would probably make the tiles too hot to touch.

Update......It was clear and 98F today. The processor topped out at 60.2C

Update.........7/23 I can't believe the guys are working this afternoon. It's 102F right now and has to be much hotter in the sun. The pi is running at 59.4C. Not bad.

Last edited:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The contractor finished today. I don't think it took as long as they thought. Even in the 100+ degree heat they kept going. The camera will remain at the site through demolition of the building and the construction of the new one.