A tip on how to repair your ethernet cable on your Dahua Camera when animals attack! :)

UmDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, while I was on vacation, I noticed that one of my cameras had stopped working. After some investigation, I discovered that a squirrel had mistaken the cable for a snack! After searching for a replacement, I found the perfect solution on Aliexpress.com.

I paid $1.97/each.

Now the next challenge with only 1/2" of cables sticking out of the jack I was able to determine the colors corresponding to the Ethernet jack pin outs. The replacement cables I purchased were wired correctly with the Pin7,8 and Pin4,5 joined together. I soldered the wires to the new harness. Here are the colors that were used and joined to the camera cable:

New Cable -- Dahua Cable -- Ethernet Jack Pin
Color Color

Gray -------- Brown -------- Pin7,8
Green ------- Green -------- Pin6
Yellow ------ Blue -------- Pin4-5
Green/White --- Green/White -- Pin3
Blue -------- Orange ------- Pin2
Blue/White -- Orange/White - Pin1

I didn't bother connecting that external POE connector as I have never used it. I also put some Silicone on the ends of the heat shrink to make sure the cable is waterproof. Hopefully, this tip will help others repair their cables when animals decide to chew on them! My camera is now working again. :)

image2.png
Image1.pngIMG_8459s.jpgIMG_8460s.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....and when you can, put the pigtail in a proper junction box or inside soffit and have the CAT cable protected as well. The less exposed, the better....not only to the elements but also to the @#$% tree rats.

They love thermoplastic. They chew on my garden hoses, extension cords and tractor lever and handle tips......anything in my tractor shed that's plastic. :banghead:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some cables like this may have some extra wires. The picture of the black one appears to be a style that has a link light in the connector.

The connectors that are crimped on to the end are intended to go into pin connectors that connect directly to boards inside the camera, but that compromise the weather tightness of many cameras.