Abode Security and Blue Iris Integration Project

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm working on developing an integration between my Abode security system and Blue Iris.

Abode does support reporting alarms via IFTT APIs. This could be used to send a web request to my Blue Iris machine to trigger some action. I'm not a big fan of relying on cloud APIs for something like this, however.

Abode (like SmartThings and other home automation systems) has the ability to toggle Z-wave switches on events. I've configured my Abode alarm to toggle a Z-wave relay (GoControl Z-Wave Isolated Contact Fixture Module - FS20Z-1 - Connected Home Modules - Amazon.com) when the alarm goes off.

I'm going to use an Arduino to act as a means of relaying multiple inputs to a COM port on my Windows machine.

I'm writing a Java application which will monitor the arduino and when it reports the alarm has triggered, it will use the Blue Iris web API to grab an image from all of the cameras in my system and then email it to me.

Some other extensions to this I'd like to make:
- Use another GoControl relay which Abode will turn on whenever the alarm is armed.
- When the alarm is armed, I'll switch Blue Iris to a different profile which would cause 24/7 and motion based recording to start on my my the two Samsung wireless ipcams I've got linked into Blue Iris (I don't really want to record 24/7 in the house when I'm home).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing this project. I used an Arduino as my serial interface to the Z-wave relay. It works perfectly. On alarm trigger the z-wave relay turns on and the Arduino serial interface notifies the Java app running on my BI machine. The Java app uses the BI web API and grabs a snap from all of the cameras and then emails them to me as inlined attachments. This way, if I get an alarm trigger I'll get an email with the most recent pics from all 12 cameras which I can use for alarm verification purposes.

jhoward56

n3wb
Reaction score
Any luck on the other extensions you were wanting to make? I'd love to have Abode tell Blue Iris to switch to a profile.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any luck on the other extensions you were wanting to make? I'd love to have Abode tell Blue Iris to switch to a profile.
I need to.krder another zwave relay still. Should be a pretty simple extension. I could probably do it without the zwave relay and use abodes iftt module to trigger a web service or something but I would prefer not exposing a web service just for that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk