About NVR's and my Foscam camera

Terry Cole

n3wb
Reaction score
So I made this post a while ago:
I'm not the best with networking, so please bare with me. If I could get some help, it would be much appreciated.

So I've been doing consulting work recently, and one of my clients asked me to do this project. He wanted a security camera set up on the east coast, that he could monitor from anywhere in the US. Naturally, I thought of portforwarding. I found the Foscam FI9900P (I believe that's the name; I don't have it on hand at the time of typing this up) for a pretty low price, not really accounting for the specs. Since the only viable option in the designated area is Sprint service, I also advised my client to pick up the Netgear Zing, the only Sprint mobile hotspot device which supports portforwarding out of the box. My overly-simplified idea was to simply portforward the router, connect the camera to it, and call it a day. As with most things in tech, this didn't work immediately. So it was back to the drawing board. I used some different programs, got a fresh device (the same hotspot, the last one was defective) and I finally got the camera working on my home network, which was not portforwarded. I verified that the Sprint hotspot was working, and I thought it would be simple from there. This is where I am now, and why I'm running into problems.

What I need to do is have a video feed which can be checked on every-so-often, so I don't need to worry about insane data charges. Right now I have been unsuccessful in even getting the camera to show up as a connected device on the router, but I do know that the camera and AirCard function normally independently. If I could get some help setting this up it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Terry Cole

n3wb
Reaction score
What I meant to type after that was that some people reccomednded that I use an NVR. I'm not sure how it would benefit me. Can someone plz explain?