About shield & camera pause vs triggers...

pyspilf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m starting to suspect there is yet one more thing I don’t quite understand about how Blue Iris works…

According to the help file:

In my case, I configured it this way:

So, in theory, triggers should be active even when the shield is not GREEN.

I picked a camera and configured it to be triggered via ONVIF, and set the immediate pre-alert actions as well:

The ONVIF events are being received correctly, and they are set to cause a trigger.

The pre-alert action is to send an MQTT message, and testing it with the bolt icon works perfectly. The MQTT messages are received.

This setup works fine when the shield is GREEN.

When the shield is RED, nothing is sent, despite having allowed triggers when the shield is not GREEN

Looking at the Blue Iris logs, I see this sequence of events when the shield is GREEN:

Sometimes the log msgs are out of order (not in the case shown above), I suppose it’s just because they come in very close to one another, so it shows an alert before the trigger, etc. but in any case it works.

When the shield is RED I only get this:

So the ONVIF event is received properly but for some reason the trigger is not made… and thus the MQTT message is not being sent…

Has anyone tried this before? Do the triggers actually work if configured this way and the shield is RED?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You said:

In my case, I configured it this way:

So, in theory, triggers should be active even when the shield is not GREEN.

Because you have the boxes disable recording and disable alerts checked, then in theory and reality your triggers will not be sent to do alert functions, which is evidenced by your BI log file.

According to your BI logs, when the shield is RED, all you got was this which is a triggered event even if it doesn't say Triggered like it did when in Green shield:

1723651524015.png

Which is correct - the camera triggered, but did not proceed with the alerts features including your MQTT and AI and Alert.

1723651568776.png

pyspilf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj as always thanks for your fast response!

I'm still not a 100% sure though...

1. A logged trigger shows as a bolt, and in the case of the red shield it shows as an "i"...
2. In any case, if the trigger is recorded, and I set up immediate pre-alert actions then those should happen even if the alert is not being made... unless I completely misunderstood the feature...

Maybe I will drop Ken a note and see if I am trying to use it in a different way than was intended...

Cheers

pyspilf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wrote to BI Support to request some clarification - I will update here when I get a response