Access cameras through Chromecast TV

Craig-91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way that I can access my uniview cameras to show on my TV by saying the command 'Hey Google show me the driveway' for example.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use Chromecast but after some Google Fu it's apparent that native RTSP streams from most IP cams cannot be streamed directly to Chromecast. I believe only Google's "Nest" cams are readily streamed to it with not much fuss.

The RTSP stream from the Uniview must be converted first to HLS format using a PC / laptop or Raspberry Pi and third party software.

The most popular third party software for such conversion is VLC. There will be some delay on the live stream, maybe as little a 5 seconds but possibly as much as 30 depending on the complexity of the RTSP stream (camera resolution, bitrate, etc.) and the processing ability of the PC or laptop when using VLC to render the compatible stream that Chromecast wants.

So if it sounds like you're up to it, find the URL for your cam's RTSP stream, get your PC or Pi ready, install VLC and jump in. Here's a fairly good guide with a video and I'm sure there are many more, maybe some better. ==>> How to stream video from security camera to Chromecast

Craig-91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Tony appreciate it.

Sounds more effort than its worth to be fair, maybe I'll go for the HDMI transmitter option and just plug that into NVR and into TV once I re route the cabling.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As TonyR mentioned, I use my vlc app (ios in my case), to stream my dahua camera to my tv Chromecast. There is a 10s a/v delay. The url (dahua main stream) is: rtsp:/admin:password@10.1.1.152:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0