Access point

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a cat 6 cable run from my basement router to upstairs living room wall keystone jack. What is a good access point to install there that could cover 1st and second floor of the house? I'm using an old asus router ac1300 in AP mode.. seem to drop connection every once in a while.. want something more reliable. Any suggestions?

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-IW-US In Wall

Ubiquiti main page for Unifi:

Keep in mind you will need to set up a controller for these access points to manage them. There is a ton of info on YouTube as well about setting one up. Many options. I run the UAPs in my house and they provide excellent coverage.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
^ +10 for Ubiquity Access points.
It takes a little more out of the box to set one up, but they are well worth it.

I have removed a mesh system that covered a 4,000 sq ft house, and used a UAP-AC-LR-US on the second floor
ceiling, with the backing plate. This one access point covered the entire house and no problems with slow speeds.

This is the same access point I use in my house.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yea I knew I was going with ubiquiti just didn't know what model

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Cameraguy ,

+1 on Unifi for price, performance, reliability.

Just an FYI on the Ubiquiti Unifi: on a simple, standard set up such as a home AP, once the Unifi is set up with the UBNT controller software, you can close the software....no need for controller to run 24/7/365.

Last edited: