Access to cameras menu through the HIK Vision NVR

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the HIKVision DS-7604NI-SE/P NVR and the camera HIKVision DS-2CD2332-I.

The IP of the NVR is 192.168.1.X and the gateway is 192.168.1.1
The camera is connected directly to the PoE ports of the NVR and the camera IP is 192.168.254.2.

The question is how can we access the IP of teh camera from the LAN in order to use the menu of camera for firmware updating?
The IP of the camera is not pingable from the LAN, so obviously the NVR has created another LAN for the cameras (192.168.254.Y) which is not bridged with the main LAN port of the NVR at 192.168.1.X.

Any clues?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I understand you have to either connect an ethernet cable directly to the camera from your PC or create a loop back from a POE port to a network switch in order to directly access the camera interface.
/Awkward & convoluted from how I normally manage network devices.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I understand you have to either connect an ethernet cable directly to the camera from your PC or create a loop back from a POE port to a network switch in order to directly access the camera interface.
/Awkward & convoluted from how I normally manage network devices.
First of all connecting the camera directly to a PC, I understand it although this requires somehow to feed power through a passive PoE injector and an auxilliary power supply.

When you say to create a loop back fromm PoE to LAN switch do you mean to have a simple network cable from PoE to LAN switch?
If yes then again this cable must be a special ethernet cable that will not pass the power from the PoE port to the switch otherwise the switch might be fried. Am I correct?

In both cases you loose one PoE port and therefore It cannot be a permanent remote management solution.

Why do the PoE ports must be a different network than the main network of the NVR?
I cannot find any menu option to change the IP assignment to the PoE ports.
So is there a more permanent solution?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First of all connecting the camera directly to a PC, I understand it although this requires somehow to feed power through a passive PoE injector and an auxilliary power supply.
I've used a stand alone 12v power supply & a Cat6 patch cable.

When you say to create a loop back fromm PoE to LAN switch do you mean to have a simple network cable from PoE to LAN switch?
Yes, from NVR's POE port to switch.

If yes then again this cable must be a special ethernet cable that will not pass the power from the PoE port to the switch otherwise the switch might be fried. Am I correct?
No, the power is on a different set of twisted pair wires than the data that your switch connects to.

In both cases you loose one PoE port and therefore It cannot be a permanent remote management solution.
Yes, you lose a POE port.
Why do the PoE ports must be a different network than the main network of the NVR?
I cannot find any menu option to change the IP assignment to the PoE ports.
So is there a more permanent solution?
I'm all ears.