Accessing BI server w/o port forwarding...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is a question, not a statement.

I have a dedicated PC in my motorhome that has access via the campground WIFI. The coach's network connects to the CG WIFI via its own router - so any WAN access is essentially double-NAT'ed.

Does anyone know of a simple way to provide WAN access to the BI server w/o port forwarding through both NATs? For example, TeamViewer, which is running on the BI server, can be seen and remotely accessed from any of my devices outside the LAN.

I realize I could use the coach router to set up endpoint-to-endpoint VPN to my home router, but I'm not sure how reliable or stable the CG LAN configuration is (i.e. how often the LAN IP will change, thereby affecting the VPN tunnel). Simple like TeamViewer would be ideal.

The end goal would be to have my home BI server log into the coach BI server and act as an off-site recording backup.

I realize I can TeamViewer into the BI machine and view the console that way - but that's limited in the sense that I can't integrate that into my home BI recording.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
I would setup Open VPN, you can use a dynamic DNS so that the VPN will reconnect if/when the IP changes.

As far as backing up recordings goes that could use a fair amount of bandwidth, make sure the campground is ok with this, and that they can even handle it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I appreciate the input @joey52685. My knowledge of OpenVPN is very limited, and not being at both locations makes learning and implementing it a bit difficult. Ultimately I would attempt it, but only after exhausting any other less challenging approaches.

I have a PPTP server running on the Tomato firmware at my home in FL. Using widows builtin client, I had the BI server in my coach connect to the FL home. I then had my PC in my vacation home (TN) also connect to the FL router using VPN. I then typed in the VPN assigned IP of the coach BI server, and it worked. I was able to pull up my coach's BI webserver using a LAN IP...

But, it was about 1 frame every 4-5 seconds. My FL ISP is 100/100mpbs. The campground ISP is 5/1. My TN pad is 8/1. So that's not really surprising.

As for bandwidth, that's really not too bad if you dial back the bit rate and only snag a single camera (group). Granted, the resolution and clarity is crap, but at least there is some documentation as to what happened at a remote location.

My FL BI server is logged into the TN BI server, and pulling the index group (all cameras in one) at 500kbps - or about half of my availalbe upload speed (DSL sucks!). Still, even with that slow data rate, the FL server is pulling in the full 15fps on the group. So I'm sure it's the VPN overhead that's killing the frame rate on my attempt tonight.

I think what I'll end up doing is setting the coach server send notifications on alerts. That would clue me in on any nefarious activity, and let me log in directly w/TeamViewer to see what's happening.