Accessing brand new Lorex E841CA-E-R without NVR

BigKuma

n3wb
Reaction score
I got two of these brand new during Father's Day sale directly from Lorex, $60 each shipped.
Because I had experience with some nice Arecont Vision cameras I got free from work.
There, there was a program you download and you can configure the camera network settings (after resetting password through tech support).
But, I needed to build a mostly night time setup, so I found these Lorex cameras that had good reviews for that.

I pull the camera out of the box, plug it into my PoE switch (port 1), plug the switch (Uplink) into my router (192.168.1.x network).
In my router DHCP log, I can see it grabs 192.168.1.184 (not 192.168.1.108, but I tried that too).
I try to ping 192.168.1.184 - Destination host unreachable.
Obviously, I can't get to it with a web browser either.
For a while, the camera stays in DHCP log as "LAN" connected. Then after a few minutes, the status goes to "Offline".
But, the Ethernet lights are still blinking for it. Unplugging and re-plugging the camera brings it back to "LAN".

Is it not possible to set these up without NVR ?

Thanks!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
try a pc with Amcrest Ip configtool or dahua IP configtool installed and or try a factory reset as these units could have been plugged in and then returned to factory

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
maybe turn off dhcp server for testing purposes in router and see whatbthat yields, maybe be enough to get you in and set a static

BigKuma

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, after a lot of cable swapping and trying various jacks around the house, I figured out that no new device was able to DHCP!
Strangely, the first attempt by the camera succeeded.
After rebooting a couple of routers, I got everything back to normal.

Camera works well, impressive dark performance, but I should have gotten 1/1.8" sensor that is described on this forum.
Login/Password was admin/admin
It did DHCP by default, so the address wasn't 1.108.

Thanks for quick reply, @Flintstone61 !

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind any camera can look good in the dark with no motion - how does it look with motion?

BigKuma

n3wb
Reaction score
Main stream is pretty laggy.
Substream ( I guess that's lower bitrate) is much faster, almost realtime.
There is some "ghosting" in both, where moving object seem to bend.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a $49-59 camera in 5MP on a 1/2.7 sensor. I obviously does better with a 5000K 9 watt LEd lighting up the porch. ( or heavy Snowpack) pic 2 is without the porch light.
1688453432020.png
1688453461628.png

BigKuma

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice! You are covering the whole neighborhood!

I am so used to my 10 yo 2mp cameras, anything is impressive.