Adding a single camera dedicated monitor for the front door entrance, possible?

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
With all the research I've been doing, and the fact I tore up more dry wall last night by the front door to run a wire, I started thinking about if there was a way to integrate a small 7" or 9" monitor of some sort that would have a live stream from the front door camera. Rather than running to my computer or trying to log into my android device to see whose outside the door knocking, would be nice if was some way to integrate a small monitor for this purpose. Haven't seen this discussed yet that I could find, so figure would ask.

Thanks!!

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy a cheapo tablet and run a browser that supports a NPAPI plugin (not Chrome) and use WiFi. You can use an Ethernet RJ45 if you want via a USB to Ethernet dongle. The tablet I use runs Win10 and I have no issue.

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great suggestions! Any recommendations on a smallish tablet that could work where I could mount to the wall or on a stand?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seeing that you have the gyprock already ripped up you should look into installing a wireless charging pad by the front door powered from within the wall. The tablet can sit over that and stay charged. I've seen it done in a home automation setup.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing that you have the gyprock already ripped up you should look into installing a wireless charging pad by the front door powered from within the wall. The tablet can sit over that and stay charged. I've seen it done in a home automation setup.
I would be wary of putting cheap electronics that might burn up ... behind a wall ...

If it was me, I would use a cheap Windows tablet and mount it to the wall. Power it with its normal charger, or since you have the wall torn up anyway then you might install a permanent outlet box and put in one of those fancy new-ish outlets that has USB charging ports on it. That might help you keep the area cleaner. As mentioned above, a USB ethernet adapter could be used to keep your wifi a little clearer. The tablet I linked has a full size USB port on it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use my window, I think its about a 4 foot by 3 foot. Lol. Benefits of a small house.

I would use an android tablet with some sort of ip monitor program.