Adding Cameras to NVR via Switch?

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm planing some CCTV and was wondering if this is possible?

I already have 3 CAT6A cables running from the basement (where I plan to have the NVR) up to the loft.

My question is, could I have 4 cameras in the loft, by using a switch up there, via one of those cables? Or would I need to run a fourth cable up there?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can put a 5+ port switch up in the loft off a single uplink between them, FastEthernet (100Mbit) can handle about 8ish HD IP cams on a single trunk with ample of overhead if the only traffic is just video streams.. if you want to run a WiFi or wired anything off the same switch I'd suggest a GigE uplink between switches.

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, that's great! So yeah, the cable I have running up there should be more than enough to run a few cameras :)

When that single cable with (let's say) 4 cameras connects into one of the ports on the NVR, does it automatically recognize all 4 of them?

Thanks for your help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the switch will have to be PoE, and your just branching off switches which is a common network practice.. So if it recognizes them automatically directly plugged in it should through another switch.. If for some reason that dont work you can plug the PoE switch into your home router/switch that the network side of your NVR is plugged into and come in that direction; you may have to figure out the camera's IP's and help the NVR find em.

however if you have a 4ch NVR, and link 4 remote ports.. it wont take any more cameras on the back of the NVR.. it wont take more than how many channels it supports regardless the number of ports you manage to wire up to it.

A disadvantage to branching off switches is you need more battery UPS's to keep everything online in a power disruption.

Last edited:

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I think I understand. So providing there are free channels, it won't matter whether all cameras are connected to the physical ports on the unit, or networked in via switches. Just so long as it's within the limit of supported channels?

That should work perfectly for what I want then :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, many NVR models are available without any PoE ports and include just one network port.. using an external PoE switch is what most power users prefer because it allows them more flexibility and can use the investment in a PoE switch to power other devices such as WiFi, IR Illuminators, Home Automation Stuff, GigEthernet Uplinks/Devices, and etc.

If your not intending on using built in PoE at all, you can save some considerable money by just getting a non-PoE model NVR; since your buying an external switch one way or another; I dont run a NVR w/built in PoE..

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, great, thanks for that. That's good to know.

And isn't 802.3at superior now?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes but only PTZ's require the additional power output of 802.3AT, fixed cams typically run 4-5W and dont come near needing more than 14.5W..

If you plan on using big fancy PTZ, or very powerful wireless access points then 802.3AT would be what you want; otherwise it's mostly a waste of money.