Adding Cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On my NVR with built-in PoE (16 channel) I think the first 8 are POE and the second set of 8 are not PoE and this makes me wonder if on the 8 channel the first 4 are PoE and the second 4 are not PoE so that this PoE switch that @wittaj is talking about is plugged into a non PoE port. The only reason I have to doubt this might be that he says he has 5 original cameras before the PoE switch that's plugged into port 6 on the NVR.
It is actually my neighbors, but it is an 8 channel NVR - he had used all 8 channels previously (the NVR was supplying power to each camera and each port) but after having the cameras up for awhile he realized he was missing some key areas and/or wanted overlap coverage, so we gave it a try of doing what I said above and his system works. Again, maybe it isn't supposed to have that capability but it works anyway?

Plus under your scenario, if ports 1-4 were POE and ports 5-8 were not, then camera 5 wouldn't be working in that scenario and his previous camera connections into ports 6,7,8 wouldn't have been working either.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my NRV all port are POE. I decided since I'm really stuck at home due to all this craziness, I decided to just run 3 new wires to my rear back yard since I had an extra spool of CAT6. Tested all ports give me video. Now I need to pick out 2-3 new cameras.

Bazzle

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried on my 16 port non poe Dahua NVR to parallel cams as you said earlier.
No luck on mine. It will only show one or the other cam, not both. :(
Would of been a nice feature..

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can absolutely daisy chain it. The unit takes 3-5 watts off the POE. Your NVR probably provides a max of 30 watts per port. Your IPC-HDW5231R-ZE uses about 8.5 watts and the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS takes about 9.5 watts. So two cameras are probably fine off the NVR POE port, so you will need additional power, especially for a PTZ.

This may do the job and you put it where your NVR is and take the RJ45 from the camera you splitting out of NVR and plug into this and then a short cable back into the NVR... Amazon.com: PLUSPOE 60 Watt Gigabit Ultra Power Over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) Injector Supply, Full Duplex Gigabit Speeds, Supports 802.3af / at, Plug & Play: Electronics

Or another option if you have space and power close by at the end of the camera run is to simply put a POE switch where that camera is and then a short cable to the camera and run 3 lines from there to where you need them.
Hi,

I was trying to the Amazon.com: PLUSPOE 60 Watt Gigabit Ultra Power Over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) Injector it works fine with power but both cameras are on same channel so when I view on my monitor I see the two cameras. Is there a way you know of to get the daisy chained cameras on there own channel?

Thanks,
AC

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like you have the same IP address to both cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No - I mean in the camera GUI, I believe you have the same IP address assigned to both cameras. Two or more different IP addresses can flow through the one Ethernet port, but each camera needs it's own unique ip address.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No - I mean in the camera GUI, I believe you have the same IP address assigned to both cameras. Two or more different IP addresses can flow through the one Ethernet port, but each camera needs it's own unique ip address.
Yes, I understand. Can I assign it static address ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can in the camera GUI and that is what you should do as every camera from a particular manufacturer usually is assigned the same IP address from the factory. For example, every Dahua camera comes with a default IP address of 192.168. 1.108.