Adjusting Exposure At Different Times Of Day? Do you know what you are missing?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had my little LPR test setup for a while, I've been happy with it (OpenALPR).

I noticed Sighthound has finally released their product (it still needs work IMO).

But I quickly noticed something.... You don't know what you don't know!

Sighthound reports vehicles & plates differently, they are not associated (that sorta sucks). But I noticed that it was detecting a lot more vehicles than itself or ALPR was reporting for plate detection.

So essentially, I did not know I was missing traffic. Here are some photos and what has been happening.

Here is a truck today at about noon.

plate1.jpg

My system starts missing vehicles in the afternoon, when the sun is lower in the sky. Essentially the plates are over exposed because the sun starts hitting them. Here is an example at 3:30 in the afternoon, still captured but you can see it is starting to over expose. Depending on how the sun hits the plates, I will get nothing.

plate2.jpg

I went into the camera and reduced the brightness. I had it set at 60 and dropped it all the way down to 10. This next photo is taken at 4:30, the plate looks great and the vehicle looks OK as well. However, if I had not dropped the brightness down to 10 I doubt the system would have captured that plate as the sun would have just blown it out.

plate3.jpg

I am thinking of using the camera's API to reduce the brightness levels when the sun is starting to go down and blowing out the plates. Just reducing the exposure based on time of day may not be too smart, what about if there is no sun or it is raining. Then I would be underexposing the video because I'm making adjustemets for expected sun but there is no sun on rain days.

Does anyone have any suggestions how they handle this situation? Everyone must be in the same situation, with too much light at one point of the day and different levels of exposure being required.

Last edited:

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thought I would post an update, how I have tried to automatically adjust the settings to maximize how many plates I can capture when the sun is low in the sky and blowing out my photos of plates.

I found some code that calculates the sun's altitude over the horizon. This allows me to check how high in the sky the sun is (I check every 15 minutes) and make exposure adjustments via the camera's API.

When the sun starts coming down, I start making adjustments to reduce my exposure/brightness.

The length of time the sun is messing with my lighting depends on the time of year, so it must be calculated as it is not a fixed value.

I was already doing adjustments to the LPR system based on sunrise / sunset so making this slight modification was not too difficult.

I'm surprised no one else has had this problem, but I guess it depends on the angle of your road / sunrise / sunset / shade from buildings etc.

I'm not taking into consideration the weather (is it raining?) but will see how this adjustment system works out before looking to include the weather into the formula.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yep, have that problem with most any camera. LPR in particular presents the toughest challenge. WDR can help.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea, WDR was my first thought. I tried it, but it sorta makes a mess of the photos. It did improve the readability of the plates when not zoomed in, but it sorta makes them blurry or like there is two of them overlapping each other.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
agreed. I'm not a fan of WDR either in most places and LPR, but it can help. In some areas its essential.