Advice for 2 camera setup

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of setting up ethernet cables required to power the 2 cameras. This is my first ever install and have very little knowledge of camera specifications. Though from my own research I am pretty certain I will go with Dahua.

The first camera I need will be positioned within myroof looking down at the road/drive. The picture (attached) was taken using my mobile phone and I am happy with the view/aspect ratio it provides. I have no idea how this translates when deciding on a lens. To be honest I just want both cameras to provide a view similar to what my mobile phone does. Full HD 1920x1080 (16:9) view.
As you can see from the photo attached, the view is quite restricted as it is looking between a narrow gap in the wall of my garage. I held my phone very close to the gap to take the shot, so some suggestions on the type of camera for this would be appreciated. I am really quite unsure about the camera here. Something that allows me to get the lens as close as possible to the face of the wall, looking outside is needed. Obviously night footage isn't going to work with IR as there is no chance of getting IR light outside of the viewing gap.

The second camera I would like to be as low profile as possible. Having something that captures great night footage is an advantage (10M distance max). This camera is going to be positioned from the roof at the entrance of my home looking into my fenced front yard. Again am happy with the angle my phone takes when clicking a picture, so whatever this translates to with lens choice is what I'd like.

I have a home server that runs Ubuntu, so the cams would need to be able to talk to this.

Several cameras that I have in mind are as follows:

IPC-HDBW4830E-AS - small, looks to have good specs. realised this has a dome - possible issues with IR reflection?
IPC-HDW4431C-A - cheap, may suffice

Ultimately I'm after something that is capable of displaying an excellent image. The camera in my roof however has me unsure.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you want to see? Just an overview of the street or do you want to be able to identify faces? If you want to identify you need longer lens. Stick with at least 3.6mm or more.
For the view from the room, you'll need to add external IR from the camera, as the roof will cause havoc from IR reflections off the cam.
Stick with Dahua, they have many styles and choices.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
For the 10m yard cam you'll want a minimum of 3.6mm and probably won't be happy with that. 6mm is much better at 10m at night but you'll have to decide if the loss of FOV is worth it. You'll be happy for ID with a 4431C-A in 6mm, particularly if there's some additional light or you add an external IR illuminator.

A bullet might be the easiest choice to poke out through the gap in the roof, depending on what the mounting arrangements are behind that slit, although you might also be able to mount a turret. Putting a board with the wide side vertical about 75-100mm behind the slit might let you mount a 4431 turret there as well though. At that distance, minimum of 6mm lens as well but you won't get the width of that cell phone pic. You might consider this one because of the excellent low light capabilities and adjustable lens- Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

You'll be able to zoom out and see if you're happy with the ID capabilities at a wider angle. When you're not, zoom in past 6mm and you'll be much happier at the expense of FOV. Seeing what happened won't do you any good after they run away if you can't ID (pretty clear facial picture) who did it. Any use of internal IR from any camera mounted there will light up either the roof shingles, the top and bottom of the gap, or all of the above and ruin your night vision. Turn the IR off and use an external IR illuminator mounted just below the roof and aimed out the driveway.

If the $170 for just the cam is out of your budget, then a $70 4431C or maybe $100 4431M bullet with the IR turned off as well. You'll need probably at least a 35mm gap to clear both the lens and photocell of a 4431C if you can mount one of those with the lens face crammed flat against the gap. You might be happy with one with the base mounted horizontally but I doubt it. The base would preferably be mounted vertically like a wall mount but on a board close to the slit. A 4431M will require a bit more vertical clearance for the lens and photocell to look out but 50mm should more than clear it. All cams should have an external illuminator to help them in a dark environment but especially when the internal IR is turned off. If you MUST be stealthy with the driveway cam then get a 940nm illuminator like this one or bigger- https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IRP12-940nm-Invisible-WideAngle-Illuminator/dp/B00Q15GLHE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1478478892&sr=8-7

Otherwise if you can live with the hidden cam and some visible red light then a 850nm flood like this one will throw a LOT more usable light than the previous 940nm unit with the same 3a power draw. https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IRP12-850nm-WideAngle-Power-Illuminator/dp/B00Q156IPE/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1478479023&sr=8-27

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Varifocal could be a good option. No point in capturing that much roof... somewhere in about the 4-8mm range should be good but will be a narrower fov than your phone. You might be better off putting the camera lower. Lower may also be more desirable for the front entrance (better at face grabs).

It would probably do us more good if you posted a couple photos of your house from the street looking back at the house.