Affordable cam for weather watching

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New here! I am looking for a camera to capture video solely for weather.

Really just need something that works well in low light and can remain colored. And obviously good daytime image as well. Would possibly use as a livestream during snowstorms etc. it'll basically be a set FOV as nothing else at this location is worth the

Unfortunately I can't go buy the nicest $1000 camera and am pretty restrained. I'm looking in the $200 range. I'm sure there are much better options but for that range what's the best option? I've seen alot about the empire tech 5442t-ze. Would it be suitable?

needs:
good night quality
Ability for remote view

here is a view of what we are capturing. Sun sets just to the left of screen.
here is a view of what we are capturing. Sun sets just to the left of screen.

IMG_9641.jpeg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If this is strictly for weather watching, you can get some very bright images in low/no light because you don't need to worry about motion blurring (like you do trying to capture human subjects you want to be able to identify). This allows you to set the camera with a slow shutter speed to allow the most amount of light into the sensor. Just about any camera will work well with this stated purpose/goal in mind. That being said, I still think the Color4k model (first link in wittaj's post) would be the best choice. It's full time color (which you said you wanted) and it's large sensor size will allow the brightest images possible. I bet you can set it to where if there is any moonlight at all, it would appear nearly as bright as a daytime image. It's also has 4k resolution, so the daytime images will be great too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I now see the threads about this one being good for weather. Not sure how I missed those.

I just checked this evening and this view has very little light. It's very very dark. No main sources of light. A couple of porch lights and decorative lighting but no guarantee they will be on. Do you think this would still be a good option to get a decent image? Here is a very poorly shot and blurry image of the lighting situation.
IMG_9655.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I now see the threads about this one being good for weather. Not sure how I missed those.

I just checked this evening and this view has very little light. It's very very dark. No main sources of light. A couple of porch lights and decorative lighting but no guarantee they will be on. Do you think this would still be a good option to get a decent image? Here is a very poorly shot and blurry image of the lighting situation.
View attachment 170274
Oh, the Color4K-T will make that look like VERY nice, I believe. :cool:

BTW, what make/model of cam is that made with?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the 4K/T will be incredible - as someone said, you aren't concerned with freeze frame capture of a perp, so you can leave it on auto and get a great nighttime image.

Someone here posted theirs, let me see if I can find that thread.

Reaction score
Yeah the 4K/T will be incredible - as someone said, you aren't concerned with freeze frame capture of a perp, so you can leave it on auto and get a great nighttime image.

Someone here posted theirs, let me see if I can find that thread.
awesome! I'll give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!