After 8 years BI up for a new HW setup. Pls Advice

Reaction score
my R7 1800X rig is 140w at the wall with console on, dual monitor on a RX480 8gb
I bet the RX480 by itself is 15 watts of that total (and up to 50 watts during peak usage). My guess is (unless it is overclocked) that CPU would idle around 20w.

My rig also is my NAS so maybe the power numbers could be lower
This might also be an indication he has a number of spinning disks, and each of those will add approx 3-5 watts average as well.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced the RX480 with a R7 360 I have. It did reduce the power consumption about 10w. The fans on the RX480 never ran, very low power draw and not overclocked. My opinion is since I have a powerful computer and I must have a computer running 24/7/365, it may as well serve all my needs. Dedicating another computer to run my home automation, and NAS would be a huge jump in power consumption since a separate computer would draw more than the added power it takes to run all services on a single computer.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That power consumption is insanely high ...
Really? What is your power consumption for your computer running six cameras at 20fps and what is the resolution for each camera? How many MP's/S are you processing in BI?

How are you measuring the power at the wall?

Tyfoon

n3wb
Reaction score
Really? What is your power consumption for your computer running six cameras at 20fps and what is the resolution for each camera? How many MP's/S are you processing in BI?

How are you measuring the power at the wall?
Not addressed to me but my I5-3750 , 8gb and 1x ssd and 3x2T disks running 24/7 with 6 4MP cams at 15FPS and Plex Media Server uses approx 80-90Watts from the wall with approx 30-50% CPU. I already find that a lot.

p.s. I have my home automation (HomeAssistant) running on dedicated NUC that uses <10W

Reaction score
Toms Hardware did a Power Consumption chart for that Ryzen 7-1800X processor, so if you aren't getting something closer to 60 watts there has to be a reason (high load, lots of disks etc) : AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

My guess is swapping in the R7-360 graphics probably didn't have a big reduction because that card itself is a power hog (quoted from: AMD Radeon R7 360 Review | Trusted Reviews ) , but since you need a graphics card for that processor if you don't need actual GPU performance lift for graphics you might try to find something lower power. So far the lowest power consumption card I can find online is 30W GT1030 (GDDR5 version), note that this card is WORSE performer than AMD 2200G APU graphics and almost certainly worse than Intel iGPU but if you just need basic Windows desktop might still be OK. As far as I can tell there is no PCIE Intel igpu equivalent where you can get basic graphics and a tiny power bump for AMD processors.
Nothing has changed here. The R7 360’s peak temperature of 69 degrees is a little higher than both Nvidia cards. The AMD card’s idle and peak power consumption figures of 83W and 171W are higher, too: the GTX 750 hit 77W and 123W in those tests, and the GTX 750 Ti topped out at 74W and 169W.
If you can handle the power consumption near-term, possibly the AMD Ryzen 4000 series APU will be a good option for you in the 8c/16t version with built in graphics and may even fit into your existing board with a BIOS update if it supports APU's (too early to be sure).

Last edited:

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tyfoon, I assume you mean a i5-3570. I have a Dell i5-3570 and I tested it with BI5 before I upgraded from BI4 and it ran 100% CPU with all six cameras at 20fps using igfx. Basically crashing the system. It still ran but would not respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. Not enough power for my choice of setup. Even the I7-6700K ran 100% and in a virtual crash state. I dont know what the power draw was with both of these

Yeah the 1800X is a power hog. So is the R7 3600. I installed a HD7570 and it dropped consumption down into the 130's. It is the lowest draw so far, CPU remains in the 20-29%. I am running on a Asus C6H mobo and it likely has power hogging qualities too. But all is good.

My next PC build will be a Ryzen 4000 series, hopefully this summer. Will see how it runs. Cheers!

Reaction score
My next PC build will be a Ryzen 4000 series, hopefully this summer. Will see how it runs. Cheers!
Only do this if independent testing shows it is significantly better than an 8th or 9th gen Intel with iGPU.

If your system was unstable with 6 cameras, maybe there was something else going on? Were you using direct to disc (licensed version of BI) and did you have preview limited during remote access? I frequently run 5-8 cameras with those settings on my 2600k and it doesn't max it out. I definitely would expect the i7-6700k to handle that workload easily. Feels like your config could use some optimization from here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only do this if independent testing shows it is significantly better than an 8th or 9th gen Intel with iGPU.

If your system was unstable with 6 cameras, maybe there was something else going on? Were you using direct to disc (licensed version of BI) and did you have preview limited during remote access? I frequently run 5-8 cameras with those settings on my 2600k and it doesn't max it out. I definitely would expect the i7-6700k to handle that workload easily. Feels like your config could use some optimization from here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
I totally agree. I was surprised at the i7-6700K myself. I was using BI5 Demo with no Direct to Disk since it is not supported in Demo mode. For me AMD new processors are an easy upgrade since they run on my current hardware. With Intel I would have to get another motherboard and $ for $ AMD CPU's are a better deal.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Doh!

I just realized that when I tested BI5, I saved the cameras individually and it was not running Direct to Disk in Demo mode. I changed that when I Upgraded to BI5 to record Direct to Disk, but I never re-exported my camera files after the upgrade. So when I have been reloading the files they were not recording Direct to Disk. But they are now and I am running between 8-15% CPU usage. Things are looking up. SMH!

Now to hunt for other stuff I forgot to change.

Thanks for the reminder crw030!

Tyfoon

n3wb
Reaction score
Tyfoon, I assume you mean a i5-3570. I have a Dell i5-3570 and I tested it with BI5 before I upgraded from BI4 and it ran 100% CPU with all six cameras at 20fps using igfx. Basically crashing the system. It still ran but would not respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. Not enough power for my choice of setup. Even the I7-6700K ran 100% and in a virtual crash state. I dont know what the power draw was with both of these
Yes, mean a I5-3570K. Really surprised to see you run at 100%. As mentioned I also have 6 cams and they are 4K res @ 15fps. Do you have direct to disk on and intel quick sync?

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, mean a I5-3570K. Really surprised to see you run at 100%. As mentioned I also have 6 cams and they are 4K res @ 15fps. Do you have direct to disk on and intel quick sync?
I was testing it with BI 5 and that only runs in demo mode so it was not direct to disk. See my post immediately above.