After trigger, do not trigger for X amount of time?

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does this exist in BI? It's eluding me. After an initial trigger, do not trigger for X amount of time?

Reaction score
From what i found looking there are settings for alerts to alert for retriggers but i didnt see anything for after trigger delay next trigger for X time

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From what i found looking there are settings for alerts to alert for retriggers but i didnt see anything for after trigger delay next trigger for X time
Same here...I could have sworn I saw this but I guess not.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't think what that would be useful for. There is a limit like that available for email notifications but not for motion triggers.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't think what that would be useful for. There is a limit like that available for email notifications but not for motion triggers.
As camera systems are becoming more integrated with HA suites and other sensors, this is very useful.

My current use case:

When my doorbell camera is triggered, it changes the state of a virtual switch which turns my front door overhead lights on after-hours. After 3 minutes, the lights are set to turn themselves off again if no motion is detected. Problem is when the light turns off, the camera detects that as motion changing in the lense, and it enters an infinite loop of turning on and off every 3 minutes.

if i set my automated lighting to turn itself off after 3 minutes, but tell the camera to not trigger motion for 4 minutes, it would eliminate the loop as the camera would not be triggering the sensor again.

For this specific case I could also try and set the camera to not record when the lighting turns on and off but I dont think thats possible as BI uses a pixel change for motion.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Motion detection can be configured to be smart enough to avoid those lighting changes. For example you can use multiple zones and require an object to pass between the zones in order to trigger it.

There is also a thing in there for not triggering when some % of the scene changes all at once, though I don't trust that one as much because if someone starts tampering with a camera they will be causing huge scene changes and you want it recorded.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Motion detection can be configured to be smart enough to avoid those lighting changes. For example you can use multiple zones and require an object to pass between the zones in order to trigger it.
So divide the viewport into two 50% zones for the trigger and voila? Seems to easy.

abby325

n3wb
Reaction score
Under Camera Properties > Trigger > Configure > Object Detection > Reset detector when " object size exceeds:" xx % so if there is a major change in light it will not trigger it again. You may have to adjust the percentage till you get it right. If you're afraid of someone tampering with you camera will create a big scene change, copy that camera and have it record motion etc without scene change enabled. All my outside cameras have two copies. Each one records all motion so it records a lot (no alerts). Then the hidden copies are set real strict to send alerts etc. In the past year using zones I gotten the false alerts down to 0% and 100% real alerts. I use mutiple zones like object must cross zone ABC>D Basically they objects must start from public side walk/roads then cross all zones until the object crosses in zone D. So when me or my wife gets alert we know to look. BI should look in investing in a custom DIO board wifi or wired and sell it instead of that over priced fish board for only 4 DIO.