ahoy! Noooooob here!

Reaction score
Hello all ,
sort of new here.
So much information here it is overwhelming.

Is there any equipment worth picking up at amazon? If not is there somewhere to
order with fast shipping?

Need:
4 camera setup
NVR
PoE.
Price? I am not really sure. I have the feeling that I am going to redo
everything once I learn how to do it properly.

Reaction score
Do you REALLY need IP cameras and an IP NVR? Sure, the cameras are higher resolution and more feature rich than the average Lorax system at Costco, but considering the entirety of putting together a system, component by component, Including crimping RJ45 cable connectors, Installing your own hard drive, running a POE switch, having to connect and configure each camera before connecting it to the server, dealing with routing and switching configuration and issues across your home network... well sir, If all you need is basic security monitoring and recording, you might consider the Lorax System at Costco for $499, which includes 8 cameras. I install around 6 of those a year for small businesses, and they are WAY easier to setup and configure than the somewhat bleeding edge cameras and NVR's we are all geeking out on here!

If you are still dead set on a DIY IP Network Camera Project, then I'm sure the regular contributors can steer you in the right direction for components, as they did me.