Alert when dog is at back door for more than 10 seconds?

Reaction score
We have a fenced in yard and let our dog out to do her thing for as long as she wants and when she's ready to come back in she'll wait at the back door. She's not much of a barker, more of a whiner, so sometimes we can't hear her letting us know she wants to come in. How can I set up an alert to notify us she's been standing at the back door for 10+ seconds? I'm not sure if this is something that could even leverage DeepStack dog detection or if it could/should just be done with motion zones but either way I couldn't figure out how to do it...appreciate any advice!

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if will always achieve what you are looking for, but don't forget to explore the "timer" options in the middle of the Alerts tab: you could experiment with the "x" # of triggers in "x" # of seconds controls. Obviously this will only work if your dog is moving enough to generate multiple triggers more or less continuously.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figured something like this existed, and sure enough after a google search, it showed up:

To train the dog, you could spread some peanut butter on it. Let the dog out, stand right by the door, and when the dog comes to the porch after going out and finds the thing and activates it immediately open the door and praise the dog. After a few iterations, he'll/she'll figure it out?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Not sure if will always achieve what you are looking for, but don't forget to explore the "timer" options in the middle of the Alerts tab: you could experiment with the "x" # of triggers in "x" # of seconds controls. Obviously this will only work if your dog is moving enough to generate multiple triggers more or less continuously.
hmmm I assume those timer settings apply to all alerts for that camera right? So if I was to adjust them for this particular use-case then that could screw up other alert use-cases. Not ideal...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm I assume those timer settings apply to all alerts for that camera right? So if I was to adjust them for this particular use-case then that could screw up other alert use-cases. Not ideal...
You create a clone camera just for this particular situation and leave this camera setup as is.

Reaction score
I thought about that as well and that may be the route I go. I also know that this particular camera (Dahua IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2) has some built in smarts like loitering detection that I might be able to use, and have the camera send a trigger to Blue Iris. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the external triggers working yet, but this method seems more intuitive to me than creating a clone camera and messing with timers in Blue Iris, and also seems like it'll save me some CPU usage.

TBurt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought about that as well and that may be the route I go. I also know that this particular camera (Dahua IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2) has some built-in smarts like loitering detection that I might be able to use, and have the camera send a trigger to Blue Iris. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the external triggers working yet, but this method seems more intuitive to me than creating a clone camera and messing with timers in Blue Iris, and also seems like it'll save me some CPU usage.
It might have loitering detection for the Dahua camera will only work for a person, maybe vehicles. The Ai inside the chip of the camera is are set to ignore everything else as these cameras are really designed to serve companies, not people's homes. For that, they sell Imour line of cameras for consumers. People on this site are more Prosumers. Most companies are not worried about stray dogs loitering around their business. My Dahua's AI deep learning chip detects vehicles and people. It is supposed to be smart enough to detect human-powered vehicles. guess they mean bicycles. I suspect they just use that as the basis for all their other cameras up their camera lineup. They add a timer before alerting call it loitering detection...then charge some more money for firmware differences. I could be wrong but I think you will find out that wittaj was right about using a clone. Sert it to detecting only dogs and setting "Allow disarm time by delaying alerts" to 10 seconds will get you exactly what you are trying to do. Report back and let us know your final solution.