Alerts as images??

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At one point blue iris used to store an alert image in the alerts folder when an alert was triggered. Then the database could be recreated and it would use the alert images as markers in a clip.
Now my system stores alerts in the database. I find this troublesome because I have no way to recreate my database without losing the alerts.
Is there any way to revert back to storing alerts the old way? I am running blue iris 4.
Thanks for any help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about a screenshot of:
  • Blue Iris "settings" => "Clips and Archiving" => Page for "Alerts" folder showing path (ie, "D:\BlueIris\Alerts")

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR - that isn't his issue.

His issue is if he deletes the database, the alerts disappear, which is what happens per the help file regardless of settings in the clips and archiving tab:

The option for Database Delete & Regenerate also exists. This one really creates a new
database from scratch and re-imports everything. Please note that video and JPEGs are
retained, but alert images and other flags that exist only in the database will be lost. You do
have the option to save each alert image as a file instead with an option on the Trigger tab in

each camera’s settings pages.

Whenever I have had to delete the database and recreate it, the alert images are lost, but all the video is intact. Maybe an older version didn't lose them, but they have lost them on recreate the database as long as I have used BI. I do not know if saving hi-rez alert images would populate back into the alerts on the left of the console or not?

Last edited:

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@TonyR - that isn't his issue.

His issue is if he deletes the database, the alerts disappear, which is what happens per the help file regardless of settings in the clips and archiving tab:

The option for Database Delete & Regenerate also exists. This one really creates a new
database from scratch and re-imports everything. Please note that video and JPEGs are
retained, but alert images and other flags that exist only in the database will be lost. You do
have the option to save each alert image as a file instead with an option on the Trigger tab in

each camera’s settings pages.

Whenever I have had to delete the database and recreate it, the alert images are lost. Maybe an older version didn't lose them, but they have lost them on recreate the database as long as I have used BI. I do not know if saving hi-rez alert images would populate back into the alerts on the left of the console or not?
Thank you for helping me better explain myself. You seem to know exactly what I am talking about. I know of that option to save hi resolution alert images. That really is the question here will these hi res alert images restore, the alerts when the database is recreated?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for helping me better explain myself. You seem to know exactly what I am talking about. I know of that option to save hi resolution alert images. That really is the question here will these hi res alert images restore, the alerts when the database is recreated?
One way to find out, try it and see.

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried it on a test system I have and it did restore my alerts list. From the saved alert images which was nice, however it says all of the alerts ar 00sec long. I guess that is better than losing the alerts altogether.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is because the hi rez image is just that, an image and there is no intelligence tied to it other than the time the image was taken.

And like you said, that is better than no image alert at all when recreating a database.