Alerts play footage from wrong time

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am experiencing an odd BI behavior. This started after I recently updated from a version 4.x to version 5.x using the in app updater.

I have repaired the DB. I have deleted and rebuilt the DB. I have rebooted the machine, I have installed the minor newer versions of BI as they became available and it still persists (I am currently on 5.4.9.4 x64).

It has been happening for a few weeks now but only intermittently. It has happened on different cameras and different times of day, I cannot see a pattern to the behavior. The footage is from the correct camera but simply at the incorrect time. The cameras record continuously so if I browse the large blocks of recorded footage in the "new" selection to the correct camera and time that should be being displayed by the alert the footage is there and it plays normally so it appears that the alert is pointing to the wrong segment of video.

Given that it really appears to be Blue Iris since the footage records correctly and plays correctly outside of the alerts list it may not be relevant but all the cameras are Dahua and the issue has happened to different models I have, I have not changed the firmware on any of my cameras for over a year, well before this ever started.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Here are a few screen shots to help illustrate the issue more clearly. The file names are fairly clear but the image with the night image displayed is the behavior occurring as it should be playing footage recorded around 06:43am but is instead playing footage from about 04:31am that same day.
BI alert plays wrong time footage 1st clip correct.jpgBI alert plays wrong time footage 2nd clip incorrect.jpgBI alert plays wrong time footage 3rd clip correct.jpg

As an interesting additional point of information which I only just noticed while writing up this point. The listing of recorded blocks of video under the "new" selection shows the 2 recordings that pertain to this instance of the issue occurring. The footage being displayed incorrectly lines up to the second with the start of the older block of recorded footage and the alert footage that should be being shown occurs in the last seconds of that same block of footage which is time stamped 04:31:47 PTZ2. The second block of footage is time stamped 06:43:20 PTZ2 which is 1 second past the time of the event plus the alert time which is 06:43:08 + 13 seconds of alert trigger time. Here is a screenshot of the listings in "new":
BI alert plays wrong time footage listing of videos in new.jpg

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and try to follow my explanation.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, where is the time stamp in the video coming from? The camera or BI overlay?
The time stamp is from the cameras which are synced to a stratum 2 time source every minute. The feeds record direct to disk in BI so no overlay there.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While you do have Alerts selected, you are actually have an All Clips view.

When the times seem to be out of sync, look at the details of the clip... start time, duration, etc. What you expect is the Alert clip of a few seconds and what is presented is an hour-plus continuous recording.

You could try selecting All Clips then selecting Alerts... this might get the desired (proper) view to appear.

If still uncorrected this could be a side-effect from the upgrade. Hopefully affects only old recordings and not new ones.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have sometimes seen this and the only thing I noticed was it at the point where the clips would be split but as it was during the daytime never really paid it any heed.