Alerts Question

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Hard Drive to a 6 TB.
I have been reading some posts on how to setup storage saying to only use the New folder not more than 90% of the full capacity.. DONE. (4.6 TB)

I read that Alerts are not really needed, but I am a bit confused. If I set the camera setting "Add to Alerts list" to "No" (High Res Jpeg files), then how would I be able to view the motion alert?
I notice if I set it to "No", then I get no alerts which makes sense, but then why some say Alerts are not needed?

I know I am probably confusing things and not understanding that portion. Any suggestions on how to set the High Res Jpeg files option, and also the Alerts folder...what size it's the recommended amount, if any?

1702335928626.png

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You just want it as database only so that it gives you the pointers on the alerts to the left of the console and has an image to send you for the alert.

It is the hi-res alerts that most will say aren't needed and simply takes up space.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ah, so the pointers just won't be in high def?
So all the other folders should be 0 and only use the New?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make the alerts 1 and then everything else 0 and then your NEW at roughly 90% of the total drive capacity provided you are not doing anything else on that drive.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what do you mean by 1? do you mean set the Alerts folder to 1 gigabyte size?
Well, let me ask this.. when setting the Alerts in the camera settings to Database only.. does that mean that the pointers will be deleted once the clip is deleted?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The thumbnails, even though they do not show up as files in the alerts folder, still need space allocated to save them.

I have pointers that are still showing even though the clip is long gone.

So I have ran mine long enough I know generally how many weeks of storage I get, so I tell the alerts 1GB or X number of days - the way it works is whichever comes first. It will never get to 1GB in file size.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah I see.. Yeah, I've noticed that as well in the past. Be great if Blue Iris would delete the pointers once the video itself is deleted.. if not what would be the point of having the pointer with no video?
Thanks for the help.

Also, I have been searching on the site regarding audio sync issues.. not sure if I should create a new post, but.. I notice that the audio on the recordings are off by about 1-2 seconds. I know there's an option for audio delay for each camera, but it won't let me get below 0..like -50, which could help with the delay.

Any suggestion on how I can correct the out of sync audio?

1702337703766.png

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I just thought of something.... going back to the Alerts.. so If I am setting 1 Gig for the Alerts Folder.. what's the difference between setting it to Database Only vs using High def Jpegs?..won't they both go to the same folder?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The audio is a weird one. Most of us don't have that issue, but apparently some do, so if you happen to be one of the few that does, it is just trial and error to sync up the audio. But I would first be looking at your network topology to make sure you don't have something else going on - like are your cameras going thru the router or are they segregated via either VLAN or dual NIC?

The difference between database only and high def is that the high def takes up more space and each image file counts as a "clip" and once you get over 200,000 clips, the database can become unstable and you would be surprised how quickly you can get there by saving hi-rez images of every trigger.

I used to save hi rez and all it did was load up folders and make my BI clips exceed the 200,000 threshold so I quit doing them. In the rare event a hi rez image is needed, I snapshot it from the video.

At the size of the thumbnails you can't tell if it is low rez or hi rez.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok.. makes more sense now, thank you.
Regarding the audio.. the cameras are connected directly to the router and they are not segregated at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is probably the problem.

In addition to opening up your system to being hacked - and they don't care about your video, they use these insecure security cameras (ironic isn't it LOL) to gain access to your network for DDoS attacks or to infiltrate your network to get banking and other login info.

But as it relates to cameras connected to routers streaming to Blue Iris is a recipe for other issues as well.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi cameras or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 350Mbps of data. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.

I would just as soon not have that much video data going thru a device if it doesn't need to. Has to slow the system down.

So between the hacking potential and slow-downs going thru a router, most here dual NIC a BI computer and have all the cameras go to one ethernet port and the internet to the other ethernet port.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I disable internet access to my cameras, so I wouldn't think hacking would be an issue for me since they can't access the outside of my LAN. I will look into a 2nd NIC to see if that is something that would work for me.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been reading on the instructions for the 2nd NIC setup. I do have a USB Ethernet port adapter I can use for that.. but, would I be able to view the cameras on my phone even though they are going to be on a different subnet than my phone?
What I mean is.. for example, my phone connects to my router which is 192.168.1.x, if the 2nd NIC is going to be at 192.168.2.x network,, do I have to connect my phone to that network as well in order to view the cameras?

EDIT..
Also, what about the wireless cameras? I have a mix of POE and wireless cameras.. does that mean I will have to setup another router with a separate wifi network?
If so, that would complicate things for me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would want the internet to connect to the USB ethernet adapter, not the cameras. Even though the theoretical speeds of USB are way faster than camera demands, the sustained speeds of USB can't keep up. Put the cameras on the ethernet port that came with the computer.

You will be viewing Blue Iris on your phone (and thus the video feed from that program), but not accessing the actual cameras.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will be viewing Blue Iris on your phone (and thus the video feed from that program), but not accessing the actual cameras.
Right.. but if my phone is connected to the main router's wifi, would I still be able to view blue iris when it's on different network? (192.168.2.x)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right.. but if my phone is connected to the main router's wifi, would I still be able to view blue iris when it's on different network? (192.168.2.x)
Yes because Blue Iris is on both subnets. The computer acts as a "firewall" between the cameras on the USB ethernet at one subnet and the internet on the ethernet port on another subnet.

So when you phone is on the main router wifi, you simply open a browser and type in the IP address of the BI computer that is on the same subnet as your phone. You may need to add : and your port number and then username and password of BI.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how I can do this because my Blue Iris machine is in another part of the house different from where the router and POE switch are. The router and the POE where the cameras are connected to is on the other side of the house. I have one Ethernet cable running from the outside of the house to the other side where the BL machine is to give it Internet as well as my main personal computers.

It needs to be like this because the main connection for my Internet is coming into the house where the Router is plugged into, but my personal PC and Wife's PC including Blue Iris machine are on the other side of the house. We all get Internet via that one Ethernet cable that's connected to a non POE switch (5 port).

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is my setup.. hope it makes sense...
1702354522085.png

Can I use that Ethernet cable that’s providing internet to the Blue Iris machine and the other PCs on the other side, to use it for the vlan setup?
I am saying that because the BI machine and the other PCs on the other side of the house can have Internet via wifi from the main router so they don't HAVE to use the Ethernet cable.

So I was thinking of connecting an Access Point to that POE switch (in Area 1), then use the Ethernet cable and connect it to the BI machine’s Ethernet port since it will be using a wireless adapter for Internet Access anyway.…would that work?