All camera images freezing but BI 5 admin otherwise running OK

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been running BI 4 with about 20 cameras for several years, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to BI 5. Things seemed to be working ok until yesterday, when I noticed that all of the camera views on the main screen were frozen. I didn't even notice at first, because, with 9 cameras displayed, the time stamps are barely visible. Then I noticed a car frozen in place and started investigating.

I have BI running as a service on Windows 10 Pro on an HP i7 laptop using about 50% CPU. Not much else on the laptop other than BI. Only other app running is IE for another camera.
I have several groups with different sets of cameras. All views appear to be frozen.
If I switch to the Status screen, everything looks normal - the Bitrate and FPS columns are continually changing as they normally do.
Looking at the cameras using UI3 from another computer, everything looks normal.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @ptzguy

On the rightmost edge of the toolbar above the cameras, there is a pause button. You likely clicked it by accident.

You are not the first, nor the last to encounter this!!

Brian

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @ptzguy

On the rightmost edge of the toolbar above the cameras, there is a pause button. You likely clicked it by accident.

You are not the first, nor the last to encounter this!!

Brian
That was it!! Thanks!
I totally missed that. Still getting used to the new interface, which I really like.
Maybe that button should be made a little harder to hit by accident, though?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, something should change, because it is too easy to hit by accident and by the time you've noticed the effect, it is long-gone from your mind.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe someone in another thread suggested putting a big "Paused" label in front of each camera.

Of course, the Blue Iris developer doesn't read forums, so any suggestions like this would need to be emailed to Blue Iris support.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's also the issue that Blue Iris is so loaded with features that "pausing" doesn't have just one meaning in Blue Iris. So just adding a "Paused" label might not be enough.

Since forever ago, "pausing" a camera meant turning off its motion detection for a period of time (right-click a camera and see the "Pause" submenu). There's also "pausing" of a clip, like in any video player. And now, there is a pause button to stop rendering new frames in live view, and it is not located where anyone would expect to find a pause button.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha Ha, I was just browsing the main BI forum and saw that there has already been discussion on this topic.
I searched before I posted, but somehow missed those earlier threads.