Allowable (safe) 12volt voltage range of Dahua cameras

DennisB

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a few Dahua HDW4300 cameras to monitor my ‘off-grid’ summer place.

Everything up there runs off of a 12 volt battery bank, which is recharged daily, from solar panels.
The battery voltage, at the battery, will vary from 11.4 volts to 14.4 volts.

I plan on powering the cameras using their 12 volt input.

I have bench tested the cameras, over the 11.4 volt thru 14.4 volt range, and did not see any video issues or over-heating with the cameras.

Does anybody actually know the minimum and maximum voltage that can be safely used to power these cameras ?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would have to open one up and lookup the specs on the voltage regulator to know for sure; however in my experience all voltage regulators for 12v sources are capable of a range acceptable for battery/automotive use. Typically they take 9/18v as a min/max, there are some 9v voltage regulators that would max out ~12v but those shouldn't be used for anything with a 12v input.

Since you bench tested it, I would say you are fine.. a long distance power run may be too much of a voltage drop if you get too much under 12v output, that would probably cause the camera to lock up randomly.

If you really want to know follow the power leads into the board and it should go right into the power circuitry, which will include the voltage regulator.. use a scope to pull a number and search for it to find the specs.

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dennis,

Looking into some property that will require a setup similar to what you described. Could you share any additional information/pictures of your 12v system? TIA

DennisB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I decided to use a fairly efficient Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage regulator from Pololu.

It's only $18 bucks, converts any input voltage from 3 volts thru 30 volts, down to solid 12 volts.

It supplies about 2 amps, enough for a few, remotely mounted, Dahua's.

I will mount the supply close to where the cameras mounted and not worry about the power losses due to the long supply lines.

http://www.pololu.com/product/2573

I've successfully used their products in the past so, if the mailgal delivers it before I head out this weekend, I'll install it over the weekend and let you know how it works.

Thanks again DennisB

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should work well, and will be much safer... should take care of any voltage drop.
You could also run a 24v solar system if you'd like

Will Daly

n3wb
Reaction score
I've run Dahua's down to 10v ( with nightvision on ) and upto 15.5v with no problems. Also my router could go down to 9.8v before it went goofy. Those inexpensive step up/down regulators collapse under any kind of load ( router and a few cams ) so I just go directly off the 12v battery, which should never read at 16v-18v if you're using a charge controller in front of it.